Protecting MDF top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
So im almost done with my assembly table. I have a sheet of formica or I could just leave the MDF top and put some type of protecting coat on it like wax or Tung oil ? ANy suggestions?

MarkW

New User
Mark
I used a Tung oil type of finish and it worked ok, but be prepared as MDF really sucks up the finish. It ended up taking about twice what I figgured originally. The good part is I just give it a quick sand and reapply as needed.

I would think that formica would work just as well though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have used shellac and paste wax. I liked the shellac because it dried very quick and didn't swell the edges. The laminate would offer more protection from dings and gouges, but couldn't be repaired easily.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I put a 3/16" layer of tempered hardboard using contact cement on my outfeed/assembly table and gave it two coats of shellac. It has held up very well. Laminate is another good choice because it will allow easy drip and spill cleanup.

Rob

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My assembly table came from Dino with a laminate top which was de-laminating in places. No way to keep it flat so off it came leaving a mess of contact cement. The cement came off with Xylol (Very nasty stuff!) and the lip on the mahogany edging was handled easily with my #8 jointer plane.

On the raw MDF I used 3 coats of brush on polyurethane sanded with 220 between each coat followed by a few coats of paste wax. It's very flat across its length and width and very little will stick to it. Still, If I'm painting/staining I use a piece of cardboard on it and for glue ups I use butcher paper under the pieces.

showphoto.php
[/URL][/IMG]

JohnW

New User
John
Jon,
I used two 3/4" MDF sheets with Formica on one side and 2 thick coats of poly on the edges & other. Also put 3/4" oak banding around to protect the edges and Formica. The poly was just to keep moisture out.

I use this primarily for glue-ups. It's easy to keep clean & glue just pops off the Formica. It's +3 yrs old and still in very good shape. Works well for me.

Good luck.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
either way will be good, have you thought about painting it and then putting shellac, or polly over that, Just a thought.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Either BORG will sell a 1/8" white "panel board" in 4X8 for about $12. Cover the MDF with the panel board and hold it in place with double sided tape. When the panel board is toast, get a new one. Costs about $1 month.

Nativespec

New User
David
I just cut some poly with mineral spirits and wipe it on. It soaks in good so it may need a few coats. The good thing is that you can sand it later (to get glue ant other items off) and wipe on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS