Project Timer

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Over the years, I've tried to keep track of the hours spent on a project with essentially no success. There's also been several discussions here about what to charge for projects on a per-hour basis and a recent one by @Wilsoncb about $175 for HVAC vs the value of projects which raised the $/hour subject again.
At the start of the Intarsia wall project, I decided I would come up with a more rigorous way to keep track of its hours. I also wanted the ability to keep track of multiple projects so I could interrupt the wall and do other things, like a humidor or Montana map.
Here's a simple little box from scrap ambrosia that allows me to keep track of up to 5 projects. The single button allows me to select the project, then start, stop or reset the elapsed timer for that project. Data is stored in non-volatile memory so it picks up where it left off if power is interrupted. Data is stored to the nearest minute as an unsigned 32 bit integer, so I have to complete a project in about 71 million hours or it rolls over. Could be a bit tight for the wall project!😆
Now all I have to do is find the paper that tells me which project is numbered what ...

Attachments

• Project Timer Ver 1.jpg
    Project Timer Ver 1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 76

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know a couple people who do test cuts for a scroll saw magazine and they have an hour meter on their saws but as you well know cutting is just a tiny part of a project. Personally I would be afraid to know just how much time I actually put in a project.

NCJim

Jim
User
Many attorney's use a similar system for billing. Back in the "day" when I worked in a machine shop we used a "job" time card that we stamped everytime we started and stopped working on a a piece.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
I know a couple people who do test cuts for a scroll saw magazine and they have an hour meter on their saws but as you well know cutting is just a tiny part of a project. Personally I would be afraid to know just how much time I actually put in a project.
Yeah, I agree, it may be scary - I may face "You can't handle the truth"...

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
One of your more pedestrian ideas but well done. Now will Behr actually help you with the wall and save you time? (upper rt. in photo)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors