Project Rudolph - call for help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
We have two group supported causes that both hit around Oct-Nov. One is Project Rudolph and the other is Heartstrings. We need ornaments that are scrolled for both. B4man will supply the specific pattern for Heartstrings. I am giving several samples of ornaments for Project Rudolph. Any flat ornaments will work for Project Rudolph, but I do better when someone shoves one in front of me and says "make this".

Everyone can support these causes. If you don't scroll, perhaps you could help with supplies or postage. For Project Rudolph they are also in need of hand-written letters (especially from kids), candy, personal products...

I would like to send ornaments, at least a first batch after the picnic. The ornaments can be of any kind of wood, finished or unfinished (which is why they need them early). Last year they were short of ornaments. Please help on these two projects.

My original and longer version is listed below.

I realize Christmas is months away, but that this is a great time to start scrolling ornaments. Last year Project Rudolph (ornaments, gift bags, handwritten notes... to our troops over seas) ran short of ornaments, and they have asked that we get started in order to get them to the organizer's earlier this year. If you don't want to paint/finish the ornaments they will, but need lead time. They are talking about 10's of thousands bags.

Frequently when we ask for ornaments with only a size specification we don't get a lot of response. This year I found a group of lighthouse ornaments from a number of years ago and am trying to reach the designer for permission to distribute the pattern for this use. They'll have to be slightly modified so folks who's saws use pin-ended blades could still make them. I thought the tie-in to lighthouses and NC was kind of neat. Of course, any ornaments that are not larger than 5" wide will do.

There is a file in the download library re: Project Rudolph. The final dates will vary, but hopefully no one will wait until the end. Everyone can send them to the coordinators of this project as they make them. We could also collect any thar are ready to go at the picnic.

There are many way that all of our members can support the projects other than scrolling ornaments. Materials are needed, postage, handwritten letters (see guidelines) or other information supplied in the Project Rudolph information. (search the download library for Project Rudolph). Letters from children are especially appreciated. They can also decorate paper lunch bags

I know that the Heart String project is also coming up. B4man will give us more information at that project. I think it would be very special if we can contribute contribute to both of these very worthy causes.

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
The 2008 information, excluding dates, is still accurate.

If I don't hear about from the lighthouse designer I'll come up with something along that line within the next day or so.

cskipper

Cathy
Here are sample ornaments for Project Rudolph. I chose lighthouses because it makes me think of NC (like a million other images, but I ran across some lighthouses in old patterns). I have tried to contact that designer, through the magazine, for permission to release her patterns, but haven't heard back yet. So these are my attempts.

It is obvious that I am not a pattern designer, and that I didn't discover the line tool in MSPaint until late in the game. I tried to minimize inside cuts and do believe that the ones there should be large enough for folks who have pin-ended blades. The red ornament in the one will hopefully print black on white. Any version of these will be great. Any additional patterns by folks for this project are welcome.

Please note that any ornaments that are not over 5x5 will be great. These are supplied because there are those like myself who need more specific guidance for what to make for a given cause. (I don't function well with "make any kind of ornaments".) You can also tell that I am not a designer, so please forgive the roughness of the patterns.

Saved as a jpeg file (hopefully in the download files) but I also have it as a bitmap.

Last edited:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Not easy to find in all the clutter.....

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=175

Project_Rudolph.jpg

Last edited:

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
I have quite a ornament patterns from past magazine articles--I will try to pick some appropriate ones to work on Cathy. Can Barbara post the pattern for Heartstrings? Try to work on some patterns for both projects and have some for the picnic.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks. I only posted the lighthouse patterns for folks who don't have a pile of patterns and/or do better when asked to make a specific thing. I did try to make these have inside cuts large enough for pin-ended blades.

Barbara is fine-tuning her pattern and then I'm sure she will post it.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Cathy, why don't you ask the membership for a photo of lighthouses suitable for scrollsaw work?

All they would need to do is send it to you by email with a message stating that it's freely given to NC Woodworker, Inc.
for charitable purposes and NO title or ownership is retained.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Not at all, Cathy...It's just another way of getting the Hatteras and Bodie light plan to pass around. Yours are nice too!

b4man

New User
Barbara
I've been working on my angel all day! I've redrawn and redesigned until I felt it was doable. As soon as Miss Cathy gives me her :thumbs_up I'll post it.

Barbara

cskipper

Cathy
Here's my pattern modified to make one think one lighthouse could possibly be Bodie Island's and the other Hatteras's. Folks who really make pattern, please feel free to submit better ones.

The top two cannot be cut exactly as shown , but it's the idea:

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks. Initially we will gather any already made for both/either project at the picnic in May. Beyond that we'll get the information posted.

b4man

New User
Barbara
TaDa! :icon_cheers
It took me as long to figure out how to add and insert this photo as it did to design it!

Dimensions are roughly 4.5 by 2.5 inches. Please send me an email or PM for help. I'll post more information regarding Heartstrings at a later date.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS