Process question/opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
How would you....

I have a part to cut out on the band saw. I want two parts as I'm building two at the same time. I have my pattern stuck to a piece of stock ready to cut. My stock is twice as thick as I need so I can get both parts out of the one piece.

Do I resaw the stock and cut each pattern individually? or do I cut the patter then resaw? Each part looks like I could get it though the bandsaw after the pattern is cut, it either has a flat side or is somewhat symmetrical.

For reference, I am building mallets since I don't have one, cherry and walnut. I'll likely give one to my son and keep one for myself.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Hi Jerry,

I think the process I would use would be to prep my stock to final thickness first, then rough out the shape of each individual part on the bandsaw. Then tack the pattern to each part with double-stick and use a pattern bit in the router to follow the pattern and trim each part to final size. By using the template, each part would be precisely the correct shape & size, and you get the added benefit of being able to adjust on the stock to select desirable grain patterns.

About the only time I would use the process of shape first then cut apart by resaw would be if I was going to book match the two pieces on a straight centerline to get exactly mirror image grain pattern around the centerline.

HTH,
Chris

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
You could always re-saw first and then use the brown paper bag method to glue the pieces back together before cutting the pattern in both at the same time.

Brown Paper Bag method:

Glue a sheet of brown paper bag between the two pieces to make separating them later with a chisel or paint scraper easier. You'll have to sand off the residue from the bag from both pieces once done.

Or you could use double sided tape to hold the two pieces together while cutting the pattern.

You definitely need a good flat edge to run through the saw vertically when re-sawing.

Good luck with the project.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
Thank you gentlemen. I think I have a plan.

Hi Jerry,

I think the process I would use would be to prep my stock to final thickness first, then rough out the shape of each individual part on the bandsaw. Then tack the pattern to each part with double-stick and use a pattern bit in the router to follow the pattern and trim each part to final size. By using the template, each part would be precisely the correct shape & size, and you get the added benefit of being able to adjust on the stock to select desirable grain patterns.

About the only time I would use the process of shape first then cut apart by resaw would be if I was going to book match the two pieces on a straight centerline to get exactly mirror image grain pattern around the centerline.

HTH,
Chris

You could always re-saw first and then use the brown paper bag method to glue the pieces back together before cutting the pattern in both at the same time.

Brown Paper Bag method:

Glue a sheet of brown paper bag between the two pieces to make separating them later with a chisel or paint scraper easier. You'll have to sand off the residue from the bag from both pieces once done.

Or you could use double sided tape to hold the two pieces together while cutting the pattern.

You definitely need a good flat edge to run through the saw vertically when re-sawing.

Good luck with the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS