Problem with W1741 Jointer ( Same as Grizzly G0490 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
I tried to start up my Shopfox W1741 (same as the Grizzly G0490) jointer and the motor makes a loud hum/buzzing sound and the thermal switch kicks in. I removed the belt and the same thing happens.

I have it wired to a 240V outlet with a double 20amp breaker. The breaker never pops just the thermal one on the jointer. The motor does move before it shuts off.

I bought this over 2 years ago but just tried to use it now as when I bought it I sold our old house really fast and did not get a chance to use. Then went into storage. And then now had to work on the house, newborn baby, etc... so could it sitting for 2+ years have soemthing to do with it?

Where should I start?

Thanks

Threejs

New User
David
I would check the capacitor on the motor. Mine did the same thing, it would act like it was going to start (twitch), and just buzz. THe capacitor had a hole in it, and was no longer usable.

Marlin

New User
Marlin
the Cap is good. I also checked the outlet and it has 2 120s and the ground are all good.

BUT I did not notice before as the switch kept popping is the motor is going backwards. The wiring I did is find so maybe the factory messed up? Will have to look at the manual but not sure what to really check?

EDIT: Just looked through book and there are 3 caps. I onyl found the large starter cap. So I iwll look at it again tomorrow to see if one of the other 2 caps is bad.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Marlin,
I have the same jointer but ~1year younger. Had a similar problem and worked through a diagnostic over the phone with the service tech at Woodstock Intl. They were very helpful. Got a multimeter? Mine turned out to be a bad motor and they replaced it under warranty. Northern Tools has Leeson motors for a good price if you need to replace. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS