Problem with lacquer finish/Finished table pictures

joec

joe
User
I have been using the rattle cans of lacquer lately on some of my projects with good results. I have just started putting the finish on a walnut table I just finished and am experiencing a white cloudy appearance. I have sanded it back and tried again with the same results. I understand now that it is trapped moisture. I have put it back into my air conditioned shop and am trying to figure out how to apply this correctly or switch to another finish. Any experience out there to help me solve this issue?

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
You will not be able to solve that with rattle cans. It's the result of the top of the finish flashing of too quickly in this heat with too much humidity trapped and unable for the reducer (lacquer thinner) to volotalize through the skin created. Only way to cure that is to mix a retarder to the lacquer to slow down the flashing off of the surface. My shop has hit it's highest humidity level ever this summer, 74%. Not relative humidity, atmospheric humidity level. Wood movement is also huge in these comditions.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
If you can't spray in the shop and have to use rattle cans you may have to wait a month or two until some fall weather.:confused:

joec

joe
User
I can spray in my shop. I took it outside for better light. This cloudy coloring also happened to a lesser degree on the first coat (sprayed inside, mid 70’s temp) but I sanded with 400 grit to smooth everything back down. I could use a water based finish over this lacquer if that would work?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Spraying a top with rattle cans is not something I would try. It will be impossible to get an even, durable, professional finish.

If you don’t have spray equipment, best is to try one of the many hobby orientated finishes which can be applied following manufacturer instructions.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The cloudiness is called "blush" (n.) or "blushing (v.). During periods of high humidity, when the atomizing air of the spray expands, it cools the air around it, dropping it below the dew point. The resulting condensation is then trapped in the coating. The more volatile the thinner (i.e acetone, mek, lacquer thinner) the quicker the coating sets, trapping more moisture than one with some blush retardant in it (xylene, etc). The blush retardant slows the drying time, allowing more moisture to evaporate, but the slower drying time makes it more susceptible to sagging or running.

joec

joe
User
I am cranking the AC down in my shop and it should be around 70 tomorrow when I try again. Maybe the humidity will be such it will work as I was outdoors earlier when I tried it. Parts of the table did not show the whiteness and part did.

joec

joe
User
This is a somewhat ornate display table with a glass lidded top (glass framed by walnut). The sides have panels surround by moldings and a frame. 3 panels on the front and back and a single panel on the sides and decorative turned legs. The inside is the same. I have Rubio but thought a spray would cover better in and the details of this piece. I sprayed the top glass surround and it came out perfect.

John Jimenez

JJ
Corporate Member
Joe send some pics when you can. I am currently making a dining room table out of black walnut. Every time I work with it, I am always stunned by how beautiful it is….wish it wasn’t expensive AF tho.

Bill E

Bill
User
It is a simple problem to cure .Go buy a spray can of Mohawk “ No Blush “ or Super No Blush and spray it on your lacquer finish. It will resolved the lacquer allowing the moisture to escape. Alow to dry and continue spraying. If it continues or returns respray and this time take a hair dryer ,turn it on low heat and spray at same time,This a warm dry ,low humidity evinment for lacquer Bill E

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
In Hawaii here, we always have high humidity. I have found the Deft Rattle Can lacquer works the best here for me.

That said, when I am using my gun and this happens here I usually allow the surface to dry enough to be not be sticky the fog coat it with lacquer thinner, then respray.

If I am using a rattle can and I think the humidity might be an issue I will wipe the item down with lacquer thinner 1st with a liberal amount and the spray on before the lacquer thinner is completely evaporated.

If humidity is high the coats need to be thinner/lighter.

As always, try these out on a sample piece of wood before applying to your work

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
While it is best to avoid the blush by spraying in a conditioned space, if blush occurs it can be removed by misting the surface with Mohawk Super Blush Retarder

joec

joe
User
I have it now in a conditioned space but I have to deal with the cloudy areas first and cannot find this Mohawk product in my local stores. Dreading the sanding I probably will have to do to get it right again. Once I get it back to where I can spray again, I will have my shop down to 70 degrees. Hope that is the answer.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Joe - you should be able to topcoat with the lacquer again to remove the cloudiness - provided ambient conditions are good.

Just so you don't feel too alone: here's a bowl I did in Jan of 2021, during one of our warm winter days. The actual color under the cloudiness is midnight black, like the cap to the right.

-Mark

IMG_1209.JPG

Bill E

Bill
User
Mohawk Products are readily available at any Klingspor store in Raleigh/Cary or ;Hickory NC Their Factory is located in Hickory NC. They have been serving the furniture industry for more than 75 years in touch-up products ,stains ,lacquers. Forget the Box store ,use a quality product to get a great finish.They also have classes on touch-up.
Bill E

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Temperature is only part of the problem. Humidity is the bigger issue. I run a dehumidifier 24/ 7 and have no issues with lacquer.

joec

joe
User
Joe - you should be able to topcoat with the lacquer again to remove the cloudiness - provided ambient conditions are good.

Just so you don't feel too alone: here's a bowl I did in Jan of 2021, during one of our warm winter days. The actual color under the cloudiness is midnight black, like the cap to the right.

-Mark

View attachment 220938
So, if I understand what you just said, I can spray another coat of lacquer, over the existing cloudiness areas, and all will look good? Provided I have a low humidity environment in my shop?

Bill E

Bill
User
Probably not smart to respray over the blush lacquer coat just sealing the moisture in between 2. Coats .That’s what the No Blush does,it allows the moisture to escape thru the present finish. Bill E

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS