[Problem-Main Site] Is It My Computer or

Status
Not open for further replies.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Assigned To:: Unassigned
=====================================
the site? Since last night North Carolina Woodworker has been slow loading (most of the time). When I say slow, I mean slow, 4-5 minutes or time-ut even. All other sites visited are normal fast (RoadRunner) speed. Occassionaly NCWW is fast. I have deleted temp files and history. I have the same results in IE7 and on FireFox. Sometimes when I am in the middle of a 'fast mode' and click on another button (say I just added a post and click on the 'new post' button to go back to that screen) it slows to nothing. As I said, all other sites are the normal fast speed while all this is happening (WoodNet, WoodWorks, WoodCentral, SawMillCreek etc).

George

gator

George
Corporate Member
Almost like the server is overloaded. A little better now, maybe only 6 out of 10 times currently.

George

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Not seeing any problems here, I also have RR. A few traceroutes shows normal response times along the way. Maybe resetting the router and/ or cable modem will help.

Bas.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Since no one else seems to be having a/the problem, I have to assume it is my computer - so - what is my problem? Here are the facts:

Takes 10 -15 clicks to open - have gone in clicking 'favorites, through google search, through typing in the url direct - I get a 'website found waiting for answer' no matter which method I try.

I have deleted cookies, deleted browse history, deleted temp files

ALL OTHER WEBSITES work fine

All this occurs on IE7 AND FireFox

Once in everything works well

What do I do now since it is appariently on my computer and not the North Carolina Woodworker server?

HELP
George

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
George, from that last description, ir sounds s though you have a DNS issue of some kind.

Try the following:

Logout from NCWW
Open a command prompt:
type ipconfig /flushdns
Reboot

Then see what happens.

gator

George
Corporate Member
George, from that last description, ir sounds s though you have a DNS issue of some kind.

Try the following:

Logout from NCWW
Open a command prompt:
type ipconfig /flushdns
Reboot

Then see what happens.

Steve -

You forgot. You are communicating with a TOTAL COMPTER DUMMY. I have no idea what DNS is and after "Logout from NCWW" you lost me. How do I open a command prompt? I do understand 'reboot'.

Thanks
George

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
okay George, I have this one.

command prompt: click on start, all programs, accessories, command prompt.

in that order. the command prompt will open a black window with a prompt looking something like this: C:>

that is where you should type ipconfig /flushdns

when the process finishes, which should be a matter of a few seconds, turn off your computer using the start, turn off computer, restart .

after that, everything should be fine

I really am going back to my accounting work after this one

Last edited:

gator

George
Corporate Member
It appears to be a little better (so far). I still can't get it through 'favorites'. When I direct enter the URL on the address line at the top, I can get it in a couple or three tries (not 10-15 as before).

George

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have not noticed any slowing -- is anyone else having this problem?

The site was slower loading this afternoon than it has ever been-------I have DSL and it took about 4 times as long as usual. ?????????????

If I leave things alone it will get better:icon_thum I'm 2 notches below dummy on the tech stuff of computers.:rolf:.

Jerry

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I think Gator and Terry are having the same basic problem. If they both would try the same thing I would appreciate it. Both of you probably don't know how to do this, so if someone would provide step by step directions I would appreciate it.

Turn off javascript. Then close all browser windows and then open up a new one to NCWW, You'll know that it is turned off because the blue menu, the floating menu and the second horizontal menu will disappear.

I can't provide the directions because I don't have access to a machine that is running windows and IE. I'm on my MAC right now.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I think Gator and Terry are having the same basic problem. If they both would try the same thing I would appreciate it. Both of you probably don't know how to do this, so if someone would provide step by step directions I would appreciate it.

Turn off javascript. Then close all browser windows and then open up a new one to NCWW, You'll know that it is turned off because the blue menu, the floating menu and the second horizontal menu will disappear.

I can't provide the directions because I don't have access to a machine that is running windows and IE. I'm on my MAC right now.

I did this. No blue menu, no sidebar menu, no second horizonal menu.Cannot get in on 'favorites', type in URL on address line and 12 clicks of the enter button later I get in. When I do get in, I first re-save that site to 'favorites' (just in case it was mis-saving the url) and then while I'm active on the site, things go normal fast. If I go back out it is the same to get back in. If I let the site stay up while I go do something else (maybe a little shop time ) and come back later then I get no movement until I go out and come back in (using the direct URL entry and 12-14 clicks of the enter button).George

sshelton

New User
Steven
Having the same problem. Site has been hard to access. (using Timewarner Road Runner, running Windows XP)
Not sure if it is a DNS issue, because I use the IP address and have the same issue

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
Hey Jerry, if you want I live outside of Faith. I can shoot up to your place and check out your pc.

If you are having slow down issues, antivirus software will slow down your computer rediculously. I do not run antivirus. Its not worth the sacrifice, or the cost. I format my computers when needed. As your hard disk drive on your computer gets closer to being full, windows can change the size of your page file. The page file serves are ram to speed up your pc.

Everytime you open an internet exploring program, ie, ff, mo, the program loads your homepage. (my homepage is www.ncwoodworker.net) When you connect to any website, that website tells your computer to save some files that are hidden. I use a software that when i launch ie7 it opens a temp. storage. Then when the websites load, the files are saved to the temp storage. After exiting ie, i can delete the contents of the temp storage.

Once after my wife had checked her email, and did some study surfing. after cleaning the temp storage, it had deleted over 144 mb. I have been in computers for over twelve years. Formating only takes an hour or two, and with proper backup of important files and software.

Hey Jerry if i can help you, or anyone nearby, pm me

Michael

gator

George
Corporate Member
Problem seems to be getting worse. Entering the URL in the address line, it took over thirty clicks of the enter button to get in.

When I click 'enter' It get one bar on the indicator at the bottom of the screen, then two then maybe three, but then everything stops. I hit enter a second time and get 'waiting for http...ncwoodworker...' but no green bars at all. I hit enter a third time and this time its the same with the green bars, fourth click and its the same as the second, etc etc alternating.

As I've said, ALL other websites I go to load quickly and without problem.

George

mcoston2

New User
michael
Ha Guys,
I'm here down in brunswick county using DSL and I'm not having any trouble with this site at all. Just wondering if RoadRunner might be gliching? Just an idea..:eusa_thin
Hope your problem goes away........:eusa_pray
Michael

skipwill

New User
Skip
It may not be the DNS, but you might want to try this:

http://www.opendns.com/

Although I wasen't having a problem with ncww, it seemed to speed up things for me..especially on my laptop when I am traveling.

Skip

gator

George
Corporate Member
Eureka:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:drunken_s:drunken_s:lol::lol: I hope I am not too early in celebrating but this morning I got in on the first click (entering the URL). I then tried 'Favorites' - first click. I have tried it three times and it is still first click. I didn't do anything since last night (last post) so maybe it fixed itself or maybe there was a problem on RR that they discovered and fixed. Either way, currently I'm working and I hope it stays fixed.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS