Prickly Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I suffer from Prickly Heat- BAD. It is when a bacteria on the skin infects the sweat pores, causing them to close at the skin. The sweat collects below the skin, forming a firery red blister. They itch worse than poison oak. Scratching the blister off causes relief from the effects of the blister, but an infection immediately sets in. Similar to when you lance a blister. This week I decided to try a different brand of soap, as nothing else had worked. ( The standard treatment/ prevention for prickly heat is stay out of the sun, don't sweat, and stay in the air conditioning. If I do the first two, I can't afford the third.) After trying a new soap, (Dial Antibacteria) most of my symptoms have disappeared. This is after years of suffering. If you also suffer from Prickly Heat, give Dial Soap a try. Bruce

J

jeff...

Bruce - I use dial soap as my shower soap, but I'm afraid this year for the first time I've developed prickly heat under my chin. Shaving makes it worse and it does itch like the banchie. I really think I might be in the beginning stages of becoming a red neck :roll:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Jeff, you may have a condition called "shaving bumps". It is more common in blacks than others. Remember James Worthy- he suffered from this condition. The Army finally let some keep a close cut, not shaved, beard because of their condition. Luckly for me I have a beard, so only have to trim up a couple times a week. My feet and ankles though look like a piece of hamburger some days. Also, flushable wipes help with the itch. I use the Wal-Mart brand, for both places. TMI probably.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi,
Hopefully I am not overstating the obvious. Have you talked with your MD about the condition? It sounds like a topical antibiotic (perhpas even an oral one) would cover your simptoms pretty quickly. If not perhaps a trip to the dermatologist would offer some treatment options which would help.

Mark

Rocker

New User
John
Bruce,
Thanks for the tip. I also have a bad case of prickly heat...at least that's what I think it is. I mentioned your message to the loml and she just happened to have bought Dial Antibacterial soap the day before. I'll try it and let you know.
Regards
John (Rocker)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Hi,
Hopefully I am not overstating the obvious. Have you talked with your MD about the condition? It sounds like a topical antibiotic (perhpas even an oral one) would cover your simptoms pretty quickly. If not perhaps a trip to the dermatologist would offer some treatment options which would help.

Mark
As recently as last Wednesday, during my annual physical. Dr said I had about as bad a case as he had seen in a while. Do a Google for Prickly Heat and you will see the treatment/prevention is as mentioned in my original post. Spending a few days soaking in the salt water of the ocean at Myrtle Beach also helps. I just finished up an antibiotic for a tick bite, with no relief. Good ideas though.

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Try using Dermacloud (also known as Fanny Cream) to help with prickly heat. You can find it in a local pharmacy behind the counter as it is a special order item. It is usually used to treat diaper rash, but works well for heat rash too.

If the rash is predominently in areas where you shave, make sure you change your razor every week to prevent bacteria build up and potential re-infection.

tv (actually his pharmacist wife)

mburke911

New User
Mark
Hi,
Just trying to be helpful. I am sure if you spoke with your doctor that he or she gave you whatever suggestions are current treatment. Sorry to hear that there isn't more that can be done, and glad that you have found some relief with the antimicrobial soap.

Best of luck,

Mark

Rocker

New User
John
Besides adopting Bruce's suggestion of using Dial antibacterial soap, I took Mark's suggestion of seeing my doctor. One blood test later I learned I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a serious tick born infection. Thankfully, antibiotics take care of this. But, it highlights the problem of trying to self-diagnose myself.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Besides adopting Bruce's suggestion of using Dial antibacterial soap, I took Mark's suggestion of seeing my doctor. One blood test later I learned I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a serious tick born infection. Thankfully, antibiotics take care of this. But, it highlights the problem of trying to self-diagnose myself.

Wow. Sometimes it is well worth going to see the Dr. even if we think it's trivial. Glad the antibiotics will take care of it. What are the symptoms?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Just completed a round of antibiotics for RMSF a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, the blood tests often show a false positive. But a ten buck perscription ($4 at Wal-Mart/ Target) is cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors