Preserving sharp edges

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
A lot of my tools don't get used frequently, which means they may sit for a while after I've sharpened them since I tend to save up and sharpen them in batch. That gives the fresh edges a chance to rust or get nicked laying in a drawer. Some time ago I started doing this to keep the edges fresh and ready to use.

I take my table saw blades to have them professionally sharpened (Raleigh Saw Co). They come back coated in a waxy, plastic-like substance that keeps the edge from getting bumped and saves me from getting cut handling them. I leave this in place and remove it before the first use.
1596384856676.png

I used to throw this away, but then I could reuse it. Once, when I was picking up my blades I saw they had a vat of this stuff cooking. As soon as they finished sharpening a blade they would dip in the teeth and set it aside a few minutes to dry. I started saving this and remelting it on a hot plate.
1596385020281.png

It melts at a medium heat after just a few minutes and stays that way as long as it's heated. Now, after sharpening things like auger bits, chisels or plow plane irons I dip these in and let it dry. This keeps the edges fresh and protected. It also means less chance I accidentally cut myself handling them.

1596385281967.png
1596385321183.png

When I'm done I turn off the hot plate and let it re-harden until the next use. Figured I'd share this here in case others want to give it a try.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is "this stuff" and where do you get it?
Here's a link: http://www.moonssawandtool.com/product/dip-seal-dipping-plastic/ for "Dip-Seal Dipping Plastic". Not sure if it's the same brand, but it is the same stuff. I guess it's a type of plastic.

You could buy one of the bricks shown in the web link. However, that would probably last several life times for a small shop. I just save the removed coating from saw blades that I have sharpened. A little goes a long way and as far as I know you can re-use it indefinitely. I just throw the bits back in the melting pot whenever I take them off of a tool.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The brand is called Dip Seal: dip seal - Google Shopping.

Looks like one guy is even selling it used on eBay: Dip Seal Blue Oil Exuding Strippable Plastic Coating 5Lbs., 500 Square Inch | eBay. That's basically how I get mine. When I take a saw blade to be sharpened at Raleigh Saw they coat the teeth with the stuff to prevent them getting nicked and dulled until ready to use. I remove and save it for re-use.

I put those links there to provide a description. You really don't want to buy it in a commercial quantity unless you're a business of some sort. 5 lbs would last the average woodworker several life times. In fact if you save and re-use it you might never run out. If you want to give it a try PM me and I'll put some in the mail. I'm sure I have some extra. You'll need a heat source (I use a hot plate and stainless steel container) to heat to about 300-350 degrees so it becomes liquid.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS