Prescription safety glasses. Updated/purchased

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Since I had Lasik at the beginning of the year and opted for mono correction, my Wood Craft magnifying safety glasses don't cut it any longer so I'm looking to get some prescription ones that will suit my needs. I found this thread from 2008, but was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with getting prescription safety glasses locally in the Raleighwood area or from online sources. The optical guy at the BJ's where I used to get contacts recommended Walmart since they don't carry them at BJ's and it seems Bruce got his there from that older thread. I may try to go by there today after picking up my son from pre-school and see what they have to offer but thought I'd ask for some more input.

Specifically my prescription is for different reading powers for each eye as well as a balancing power for distance on my non-dominant eye. I'm interested in something the same style as the Wood Craft ones, at least I think I am! :dontknow: I'm open input based on others personal experiences as well.

TIA,
Brian.

Last edited:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Re: Prescription safety glasses

Thanks for the leads on the stickies def worth looking at, but I forgot to mention that I need to find a way to spend my $150 glasses allowance since I'm not buying contacts any longer.

Brian

RayH

New User
Ray

The optical shop I use says what I want are polycarbonate lenses. They say these are standard (at least for them) in frames where the lenses are grooved (fishing line holds the lenses in) or where the lenses are held on with screws through the lenses. They grind these into whatever prescription the ophthalmologist prescribes.

These are very light weight and I use them for my everyday glasses. Anything requiring more protection, I use a face shield over the glasses.

Hope this helps:icon_scra

Ray

FlyingRon

Ron

Actually, most optical places will push you into polycarbonate for any glasses. This is the stuff Lenscrafters calls featherlites. It's the most inexpensive material they have now for glasses (though you'd never tell by some of the outrageous prices they get). If you want most optical places with a clue can fit side shields as well.

I find them a little unnerving for regular glasses. They have a lot of chromatic aberration. They also scratch very easily but are VERY impact resistant.

ehpoole

Ethan

My present pair of safety glasses came from Lenscrafters. The frames are titanium, lenses are polycarbonate (which is essential for any safety lens), and they include rivetted side shields. I have a fairly strong prescription (my uncorrected vision is roughly 20:800 or worse) and I would guess they still weigh in at no more than an ounce or so (though much heavier than my normal glasses which are well under an ounce -- I love polycarbonate lenses).

That said, I can attest to the fact that even ordinary glasses with polycarbonate lenses (especially those with flexible frames) can withstand one heck of an impact. Once during one of my family's many moves my father and I were flipping over a heavy dining table and an old pair of my glasses took a hard enough hit to bruise me (where the frame impacted) and transferred a considerable amount of paint off the table and onto the lens -- but no damage to the glasses other than having to scrub the paint off the lens. I healed quick enough, and was grateful that I always wear glasses -- I don't want to imagine the consequences of that impact had I not been wearing them!

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Well after getting the run around 3 times from my regular eye doctors glasses shop I went in search of and found one that actually had safety glass samples to look at and was willing to show them to me. I ended up at Wayne P Moser on Glenwood ave in Raleighwood, Diane is the eyeglass person, and after showing her my regular over the counter safety glass readers she dug through her unused safety glass sample kit and pulled out exactly what I was looking for.

IMAG0452.jpg

IMAG0451.jpg

These have nice wrap around lens and replaceable foam at the top to keep out debris. They're made by Titmus and although I've not done any ww'ing with them yet they fit real nice and aren't heavy at all. My vision plan (VSP) covered all of the frame and lens cost except for the polycarbonate upgrade and upgrades are discounted 20%. I got a full balancing correction for my non-dominant eye, correction for the slight astigmatism that still remains in my dominant eye, wide view transition reading correction on both eyes, and I also added photo-chromatic as well so I can also wear them in bright sunlight. All said and done I paid 106 bones out of pocket for the lens upgrades and insurance covered 331 bones, so I think I made out pretty good on the deal.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and information it helped me greatly in making my decision. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors