Prayer Kneeler (Prie Dieu)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't have a plan but there are lots of pictures of them on Pinterest and some give dimensions. This one from Graydon Creek is 36" high and 19" wide (no front to back depth given).

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 2.32.34 PM.png

Last edited:

Tgillis

New User
Tonika
I don't have a plan but there are lots of pictures of them on Pinterest and some give dimensions. This one from Graydon Creek is 36" high and 19" wide (no front to back depth given).

View attachment 197628
Yeah I seen the pictures on Pinterest and even YouTube videos about making them but nothing with a specific plan. I looked for plans on Pinterest but the pins that said they had a link to a plan lead me down a rabbit hole that has no plan in sight. I figured I would come here to see if any of the great minds here had a plan.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Yeah I seen the pictures on Pinterest and even YouTube videos about making them but nothing with a specific plan. I looked for plans on Pinterest but the pins that said they had a link to a plan lead me down a rabbit hole that has no plan in sight. I figured I would come here to see if any of the great minds here had a plan.

If you have the dimensions it is pretty easy to make your own plan from scratch. The post by Neil uses 1" thick hardwood. Do you want the kneeler portion to fold up into the vertical section for easy transport and storage?

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
If you have the dimensions it is pretty easy to make your own plan from scratch. ....

Agreed Jeff, sort of. You are encouraging the OP to move ahead and determine how to make this.
But what may be easy for one is not necessarily easy for another. You clearly have a facilty with Sketch-up, as demonstrated in other posts, that I do not. FOr some reason Sketch-Up has not proven easy for me (I have quit too easily). I could however make a pretty close copy of that bench from the pics and the dimensions.
We can't presume skill levels or aptitudes of other NCWW users - there is clearly a wide range.

To call this do-able for the average woodworker, indeed. That does not make it easy for any particular individual.
I am not judging skills of the OP, or any one else, just commenting on language/.assumptions.

Another thing I have noted recently Jeff is that you quickly find (and post) pics to illustrate peoples questions - another skill that may or may not be easy for others.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I could however make a pretty close copy of that bench from the pics and the dimensions.

I agree with you. A pencil and paper would work just fine and I wasn't suggesting that the OP use SketchUp to make a plan. Whatever method works for her is fine but she needs to start somewhere with something.

To call this do-able for the average woodworker, indeed. That does not make it easy for any particular individual.
I am not judging skills of the OP, or any one else, just commenting on language/.assumptions.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The problem with some plans is that not everyone has the same skills, equipment, or raw materials to execute the project as drawn. For example, a plan may assume mortise and tenon joinery when the maker only has pocket screws. Maybe the plans require a shaper when the reader only has a router table. That sort of thing.
I prefer a picture to get the general proportions. It will be up to me to plan the joinery details and finish to suit what I have available.
Maybe for matching specific curved profiles or maybe minor mechanical functions, plans can be helpful.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Yes Bob, plans need to match the user, and the user's capabilities and tool-set. Agreed, that sort of thing.
Of course the aspect that many starting out don't necessarily understand is the variety of ways to the same endpoint. Just becase you might use a shaper doesn't mean I need one to get to completion.

Tgillis

New User
Tonika
Gentlemen, while I appreciate the banter on if I can or cannot make a plan or my level of skill in woodworking, I just wanted to see if anyone in the organization had a plan they would be willing to share with me. I can and it looks like I will probably have to make my own plan. I am advanced enough in the art of woodworking to make a plan and build from the plan. It will just take me more time to do it than it would have if someone had shared a plan (which i probably would have made modifications to) with me.

I have already decided that I will be using 4/4 cherry with some walnut accents. The main questions I have are what degree do I cut the armrest so it will be comfortable? And where do I put the pivot points on the foldable knee rest? These were what I was going to look for in the plan.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Tonika - appreciate the clarity regarding what you need. Apologies if my posts were a diversion.

Would measurements from pics (Pinterest?) not be sufficient to determine an angle? I can go measure (the one) that we have at our church the next time I am there, but during Covid that is not so often. Best I can offer.
I know how I'd determine the pivot point, but that's a bit wordy to describe. It would help if you could show a sketch or drawing to illustrate dimensions.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Gentlemen, while I appreciate the banter on if I can or cannot make a plan or my level of skill in woodworking, I just wanted to see if anyone in the organization had a plan they would be willing to share with me. I can and it looks like I will probably have to make my own plan. I am advanced enough in the art of woodworking to make a plan and build from the plan. It will just take me more time to do it than it would have if someone had shared a plan (which i probably would have made modifications to) with me.

I have already decided that I will be using 4/4 cherry with some walnut accents. The main questions I have are what degree do I cut the armrest so it will be comfortable? And where do I put the pivot points on the foldable knee rest? These were what I was going to look for in the plan.

Good for you. You can do your plan from a picture. A 15-30 degree angle is probably about right for the armrest.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS