Possible UJK Parf Guide System Mark II - For Rent

I'm considering starting a woodworking equipment rental business, starting with hard to find items that may be too costly for one time use. I'll be starting out with the UJK Parf Guide System Mark II.

Probably a security deposit and daily/weekly rates.

Would this be of interest? Viable? A good or bad idea?

Thx.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
A lot would depend on what you'd charge. There are alternative templates and such that are far cheaper than the Parf Guide and I think many folks would opt for those.

Another consideration is that the Parf Guide has a lot of parts. Some, like the pins, are small and easy to misplace. Then there is the matter of the special Forstner bit which would need to be resharpened occasionally or replaced.

I borrowed one from another forum member and when I was finished I carefully repacked all the pieces in their original packing material. I don't know how diligent a renter would be doing that.

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Can't speak to the good/bad idea specifically. I have rented and will rent equipment. Mostly this is very expensive stuff (think man-lifts for maintenance work), or for less expensive stuff it is about the anticipated frequency of use and the storage room required: one use in 10-15 years I'll rent, annual use I 'll likely buy it.
For ww'ing tools I have very typically bought used equipment - so that when I need it, I have it. Home reno or maintenance specialty tools are the things I have rented (post hole augers; powered drain snakes, etc.). Can't recall even considering the rental of a ww-ing tool (I don't even know that the Parf Guide systen tool you mentioned is ...)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I don't even know that the Parf Guide systen tool you mentioned is ...
Henry, the fact that you don't know what it is could be an indication you don't need one.

Essentially it's a layout system for creating a grid of 20mm dog holes in a table top that are perfectly spaced at 96mm apart. It makes for a handy work bench with an almost infinite number of clamping possibilities.

1708968635728.png

1708968865469.png

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
My initial thought on Parf Guide rental was, "good idea," but Martin raised great points about the pins and other smallish part being easily misplaced. If you were to follow through, you'd need to keep at least one set of replacement parts on hand.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry, the fact that you don't know what it is could be an indication you don't need one.

Essentially it's a layout system for creating a grid of 20mm dog holes in a table top that are perfectly spaced at 96mm apart. It makes for a handy work bench with an almost infinite number of clamping possibilities.

Well indeed - but I have yet to go down the MFT path - but may someday!

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I'm considering starting a woodworking equipment rental business, starting with hard to find items that may be too costly for one time use. I'll be starting out with the UJK Parf Guide System Mark II.

Probably a security deposit and daily/weekly rates.

Would this be of interest? Viable? A good or bad idea?

Thx.
I am contemplating buying one but can’t bring myself to do it, simply b?c it violates my rule about once purpose tools that sit on a shelf 98% of their life.

So yes, I would be very interested in something this. I guess it could be done through Paypal. You would have to take a deposit that covers the cost of replacement. I don’t know the logistics of it all, I suppose part of the deposit is refunded upon receipt of the loaned item. I know PayPal has buyer protection but I doubt it covers rental.

I dunno, seems like it would be risky doing it online with shipping involved.

Just some thoughts. I think this is something a local woodworkers club could do.

Echd

C
User
A $240 tool? By the time a user has had it shipped, paid a rental fee, and shipped it back, they're halfway there. Also consider if it's usps it's only insured for $50 if you don't pay extra.

That also looks like a tool that could have the functions essentially duplicated with a cheap 3d print pretty easily. Or, if you're paying for a rental and headache of learning and using a new tool (that you aren't even going to keep) the functions could also be duplicating by paying someone with a cnc machine to do it in only a few minutes.

Something more expensive like dominos, duo dowellers, track saws, heavy duty sanders and dust extractors, a pantorouter, and the like, maybe I could see, but shipping would be killer.

On the flip side most expensive tools have storage considerations or consumable parts. Imagine someone breaking bits on a domino because they don't have a dust extractor connected. Or someone rents a spray gun and then finish sets inside of it.

And most woodworkers like owning tools. I feel like if it was a function they didn't enjoy or care about doing again they would farm out the job, not rent the tool.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS