Porter Cable 890

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
I think PC is slipping. I heard their routers were the cat's pajamas and so bought a Porter Cable Model 890 router. Actually, I think my first one was an 891... Anyway, I will probably NOT buy another PC router. Issues:

1. It was supposed to come with both the 1/4" and 1/2" collets. Only came with one. Had to go back to the store and get the missing collet. Not a big deal, but shows some lack of quality control.:roll:

2. Then I read on this forum about a recall. So, I call PC and they say "no problem, just bring it to this shop in Wilmington". I get to the place and they have no earthly idea what I am talking about. Say they need paperwork from PC before they will touch my router. PC website has nothing. Luckily I had to go to Raleigh and got it replaced with my current 890 at the service center on Capital Blvd. :-x

3. Well, today I go to change a bit in my 890 (with maybe 2hrs run time on it) and the little pin that locks the shaft so you can loosen the collet is busted. I have changed the bit in this thing maybe 6 times!!! So, once again I have to try to get this thing fixed.:BangHead:

NO MORE PC ROUTERS FOR ME!!! The purchase of this router is turning into a career for me and I don't need a second job...

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Uncle Norm swears by them, and I swear by Uncle Norm! :slap:

I am sorry about your experiences with PC. I have never used one, but had planned on buying one in the future...maybe I will wait to see if a string of bad reviews come out on them. What with all this outsourcing, quality control is going the way of the dinosaur. People are forgetting that it's not just GETTING people to buy your product, it's getting them to buy a second, third, etc.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Matt, get rid of that thing quick :oops:

It's clear you weren't meant to have it and residual feelings will prevent you from ever enjoying it :crybaby2:

Sapwood

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I bought a new PC random orbit a while back and it has been fine, but I cannot say that there has not been a turn in quality. You may have gotten a lemon. I like others say get rid of that thing fast. If you can return it, do so.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
I can't speak for the PC 890 series routers but I have had a couple of their 690s and have had no problems what so ever with them. Matt, you could very well have gotten a lemon and might be wise to return it if at all possible. Between that and the recent recall for the motor maybe PC didn't put enough R&D into the 890 before they released it or prime time.

D L

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Travis Porter said:
I bought a new PC random orbit a while back and it has been fine, but I cannot say that there has not been a turn in quality. You may have gotten a lemon. I like others say get rid of that thing fast. If you can return it, do so.

I have one of their random orbits too. The fact that the thing has run without complaint like a champion for a long time was all it took to convince me to go PC when a friend recommended their routers. I am going to try to return it... We'll see how it goes.:-?

Mountaincraft

New User
William
If you just hate PC, then let it go. Nothing will convince you of the quality. I have misgivings about Dewalt because their miter saws used to get out of adjustment easily and their cordless tool kits weren't as reliable as the current Ryobi's. Ask anyone here about Craftsman. Brand asphyxia can take down a good tool maker on just one experience. Any tool manufacturer can put out one lemon. Before long, though, they will make the 890 the most dependable available. That is there reputation. I own several PC tools and will swear by them.

Oh, norm gets his for free for using them on tv. He hasn't bought a table saw since he was using his pipe rail contractor saw some 20 years ago. And even though I believe that he is a fine tool tuner, he has the manufacturer engineering staff at his becon call. What a job!:mrgreen:

jtdums

New User
Jim
I have to vote with Mountaincraft on this one. I have the 891 as well as several other PC tools that have been strong and reliable in the shop. Some times even a good tool maker can have trouble with a single short run of tools. See if PC will swap for another and I think you will be pleasantly surprised in the long run. Just my 2 cents.

KWLTLL

New User
Kevin
I build houses for a living, and use several PC tools. Circ saw, sawzall, sanders, and never had any trouble with them. I haven't tried a PC router. I use a dewalt with a fixed or plunge base for trim work, and have a cheap B&D plunge for outdoor work. I have had very good luck with both. Knowing the quality of PC tho, I'm sure if you contact them again, they will do whatever it takes to make it right, and I think you'll be happy with the router. Sounds like you just got a rare bad one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS