Portable tabletop vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
For sometime I've wanted to learn how to hand cut dovetails and practice using hand tools. This gets me one step closer. It's a vise that uses pipe clamps. Nothing special really but it'll give me the chance to learn some hand tool skills while I'm not in my shop. Just throw it on a table top and clamp it down. Its got about 9 inches between the pipes and about two feet of opening but only because I didn't cut the pipes down. It's alot sturdier than I expected. Best part was it was all made with scrap or parts I already had.
20161207_195939.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=82258

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
That looks like a great idea - simple but effective. I may have to give that a try.

Your design? Based on others you have seen? Other sources I should look at?

I was just in Raleigh's Klingspors the other day and there is a Sjorberg (sp?) table top vise at the front table by the door; very similar idea. Of course as a finished manufactured item that cost way more than what you have invested - not accounting for your time.

Henry

Opensightryan

New User
Ryan
I saw the design first from a you tube guy named Jay bates, he has plans on his website. (He's not the first to do this I'm sure it's just where I came across it first)

I made a few changes:

- mine is alot smaller only 15", his is 30"
- my jaws are only 3 layers thick his are 4
- I used 3/4" pipe clamps (it's what I have) his are 1/2"
- he made his so the whole vise slides mine does not.
- I made a lid for my storage box he didn't

That's about it.

It took me about 3 hours to build, but I let the glue dry for about a whole day, so I don't have much time in it either.

Thanks,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS