Polyurethane Puzzle

bainin

New User
bainin
I've had a hand painted lazy susan for 15 years. Well-the wife tried to clean it with some of those alcohol wipes and it has left the top surface
gummy. The manufacturer says they use Low VOC Polyurethane to finish-I assume this means water based Poly.

Question is : how to fix the gumminess without damaging the hand painted wood underneath ?

thank you

b

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I've had a hand painted lazy susan for 15 years. Well-the wife tried to clean it with some of those alcohol wipes and it has left the top surface
gummy. The manufacturer says they use Low VOC Polyurethane to finish-I assume this means water based Poly.

Question is : how to fix the gumminess without damaging the hand painted wood underneath ?

thank you

b
Poly (and many finishes) are not resistant to alcohol unless specifically designed / configured for the task. Usually that would mean adding the right crosslinker to the poly or by using a 2K poly.

I’m not sure that the finish on your piece can be corrected without removing it and refinishing. Hopefully others will have some tricks that may help but in my experience it is a refinishing job.

bainin

New User
bainin
That would be fine..how do I remove the poly without damaging the underlying hand paint?

thank you

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I don't really know the answer to your problem. If the surface is level, you might try to coat it with some super blond shellac. Another option, level or not is a flood coat of epoxy. You're lucky it was your wife who did this and not you!:eek:

bainin

New User
bainin
Luckily-the OEM got back to me and offered to "refinish" it. They were nice enough to tell me which water based poly they used (General Mills Satin-btw that stuffs expensive!) and suggested
light sanding followed by re-application (spray)...I don't have a spray setup but i'm sure i can manage this wipe-on style.

b

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Usually artists that paint a decorative piece will use a water based finish so the color of the art is not affected. Just FYI.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors