Poles Have Decay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
At church there is a shelter for use when there is a need to be outside and covered. The parking lot is paved and the area under the shelter in finished concrete. When this shelter was built they used round poles maybe from the telephone or power company, the poles were set in the ground and concrete finished around them. How deep in the ground, I have no idea. Now that the history is set, on to the question at hand.
There are approx 12 poles maybe more, but only about 2 have a problem. The problem is they have started to decay from the outside in about 2 inches on one side. As for the condition of the shelter and the other poles, they are solid or at least appear as though they are. What is a way of repairing the rotted area of the poles. I know this would be easier with pictures but did not have the camera when this was mentioned.

Is there a product that could be mixed and poured in an area where the wood would be cut back to solid wood and fill in the area?

A form could be used to wrap around the poles to allow a product to set up.

Some have mentioned taking out the poles that are decayed, but that is impossible since the shelter covers the area and inserting a pole that don't bend is also not an option.

Any opinions on a solution.

Thanks

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dude, this is not an uncommon problem when concrete is applied around the top of the burried portion of a pole.

I would think that you could cut out the rot, and wrap a sleeve around the pole and fill it with epoxy.

Another option would be to cut the pole off flush with the ground, and anchor a steel plate over the hole (anchor bolts outside the hole into the slab). Chop off 6" or thereabouts of the existing pole, and weld a sleeve onto the plate that surrounded the post on two sides. Then lag bolt the sleeve into the post.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
Dude, this is not an uncommon problem when concrete is applied around the top of the burried portion of a pole.

I would think that you could cut out the rot, and wrap a sleeve around the pole and fill it with epoxy.

Another option would be to cut the pole off flush with the ground, and anchor a steel plate over the hole (anchor bolts outside the hole into the slab). Chop off 6" or thereabouts of the existing pole, and weld a sleeve onto the plate that surrounded the post on two sides. Then lag bolt the sleeve into the post.
Excellent idea, except the sleeve would have to either be 2 halves or 2 sleeves one inside the other to slip in the 6 inch space and then slide up onto the pole. Another idea would be to use a pipe that would go snug around the pole and cut it in half lengthwise weld one half to the plate and then lag screw the other to the pole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS