Plywood Supply (other than big box)?

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Hi Folks!

I'm not quite ready to step up to buy and use Baltic birch plywood yet.

So, for Sande/ Maple/ Birch/ Whitewood type plywoods, are there any (local) suppliers other than an HD or Lowes?

I live in Raleigh. I went to 84 Lumber. But, they weren't very helpful and told me they really only supply contractors. :rolleyes: Capital City Lumber has nice lumber and stock. But, again, for general projects, I'm not quite ready to pay those prices.

Thanks for any wisdoms.

Ian

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are several suppliers in town that typically cater to the millwork shops, but will sell to the general public. Their products are better quality than the big box stores and the prices are higher and there is no picking thru the pile. Your best bet is to check out The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Wurth Wood Group on Poole Rd will sell to public, but they have restricted hours for pickup / shopping. Pretty much anyplace except Lowes / HD / Hardwood Store / Capital City is aimed at professionals, and aren't always helpful to non-contractors. And you'll pay a price premium at the non-big box stores, but usually you'll get a higher grade material (but not always).

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Ditto to the above, the bottom line is this ......... most pro suppliers cater to cabinet or custom woodworking shops will provide a way better plywood than HD or Lowes, those company's best is really veneer over cdx base, or worse. Way more voids when cutting pieces integrity is a lower quality.

Wander through here it will explain the grading and types of veneer cutting of hardwood ply..... https://www.andersonplywood.com/plywood-slicing-information/

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Thank you, all, for your replies.

Basically, it’s either big box plywood or high dollar ply. But at least I now know where to go. Again, thank you for sharing your wisdoms.

Cheers,

Ian

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Are there any mom and pop supply stores around you? You might have to ask around locally to find one as they don’t always advertise very well. I did find my local mom and pop operation through google though.

There is a small operation local to me that has a few options in plywood of higher quality than box store choices ranging from $10-25 higher.

How much more was capital city lumber and the hardwood store? In my experience, the lack of voids in the plywood made me forget about cost difference.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you, all, for your replies.

Basically, it’s either big box plywood or high dollar ply. But at least I now know where to go. Again, thank you for sharing your wisdoms.

Cheers,

Ian
The price of plywood at The Hardwood Store, Wurth Group, etc is not always higher and even when it is you are not always talking about a big difference.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I recently got a 5 x 5 sheet of 3/4" Baltic Birch from the Hardwood Store and it is top quality material. The plywood from the big box stores is cheaper but for some uses it's adequate.

"I'm not quite ready to step up to buy and use Baltic birch plywood yet."

Why is that? What kinds of things do you build with plywood? It sounds like you want cabinet grade plywood but aren't ready for the higher prices for those better grades.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I try to use Baltic Birch ply that I get at klingspors. You can save a few bucks at the big box stores, but the quality of your finished work will not be as good. At one of the big boxes, every sheet of plywood I bought from them delaminated. At the other, the voids are frequent in the sheets I have gotten from them. With Baltic Birch, you have quality materials and you can also support Klingspors to thank them for their support.

Roy G

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
In the past, I have seen good reviews for the Columbia Products PureBond products at Home Depot. Not sure if that has changed. Based on online search, prices start at $53 for 3/4 inch 4 X 8 sheet.

Gripbd

BD
User
In Wilmington I get plywood and MDF from Rugby Architectural Supply. They also have locations in Charlotte and Kernersville.

cmboggs

Chris
User
Has anyone had any luck with buying offcuts or ‘scraps’ from cabinet makers? I would think they’d be happy to sell off some of those waste for a small profit.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS