Plywood suggestion for shop cabinets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
I purchased some of that $28 3/4" plywood they have at HD(got mine in Apex HD) and it is good to use for shop cabinets. One side has some wild grain and the other side is milder. I'll post a picture showing the wood. Wood on the right was finished with lacquer and the drawer fronts on left are unfinished. May have the same wood at other HD, I just don't know.

Bob

Attachments

• HD wood.jpg
    HD wood.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 143

gator

George
Corporate Member
I will probably be tossed off this forum for posting this, but go to BDC (yeah, el cheapo Builder's Discount Center).
Go

Don't know about the MDO but I always check BDC for birch ply when I need some. I didn't mention it here because availability is hit and miss. I have gotten birch ply seconds (plenty good for the shop) for under $30/sheet in the past.

George

Nativespec

New User
David
The Home Depot at the Cary Crossroads sells the sandply seconds (or at least they used to) for $25 a sheet. I don't have a lot of pride in my utilitarian type shop cabinets and it would be fine for this use. If I was going to build a nicer cabinet to show off the finer handtools, I might spend some extra money on the carcass.

David

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
David,

After the recent haul that you've had:icon_thum, I think it may be time for that nicer cabinet.:icon_bigg

Jimmy:)

Nativespec

New User
David
I will be building a handsaw cabinet and I will probably be using solid wood and hand tools to build it. My next thing is hand dovetails and tenons.

Now I am thinking of ordering a saw or two from Wenzlof-If he calls me back.

David

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I will be building a handsaw cabinet and I will probably be using solid wood and hand tools to build it. My next thing is hand dovetails and tenons.

Now I am thinking of ordering a saw or two from Wenzlof-If he calls me back.

David

I must admit that I am start to envy some of these purchases:eusa_pray.

Jimmy

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
One thing I have not seen mentioned is to use a mix depending on the location of the piece and if it will be seen all the time. In MHO using a face frame will make this easier to do. I bought what I remember to be baswood from a local lumber yard that was already the standard width of face frames. Of course it just could be that I have seen "BAS" so much I have brain lock. Doing this allowed me to use 1/2" in a lot of places.

One more vote for they are SHOP CABINETS!

You will still learn a lot and save your money for stuff that will end up in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors