Plugging countersinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Here are four things that everybody (except for me and three other members) knew. This is for you three guys.

Background: For the last two months, I have been making adirondacks from some cherry Ivey cypress. Cherry, in this context, refers to a primo slab of wood, not that reddish, sweet-smelling blotchy stuff. While I had a fit with the BORG and HF plug cutters, the Snappy cutter from Woodcraft did a right fancy job. However,

1) In spite of the assertion that the Snappy plug cutter cuts a tapered plug, I have been unable to confirm that allegation. Now, obviously, if one were to design a cutter with tapered cutters, that it, having this / \ shape, the top surface would seem to be narrower that the lower surface. So, logic says you could make such a device. In my case, I marked the top surface before sawing the plugs out, and it didn't seem to matter which end I tried to fit into the countersink. Neither fit without some serious effort (not a BIG hammer, but a hammer nonetheless). Naturally, I pulled out the digital calipers. After checking 10 plugs, I could discern absolutely NO difference in the diameter of either end. Some of these plugs I cut to 5/8" deep, still no change. Does your mileage vary?

2) Thanks to the sagacity of one Mr. Travis Porter, I may now safely concur that a Q-tip is a marvelous glue applicator. I would have used a tiny brush and cursed each plug. Note that Q-tip is a brand name and any generic cotton swab would probably perform equally well. I think I actually used a CVS generic.

3) Having arrived home after purchasing the Snappy plug cutter and accompanying countersink bit array, I realized that I would need a flush cut saw to sever the portion of the plug that would stand proud of the surface. Even though gasoline is no longer exorbitantly priced (actually, it's quite the bargain, much cheaper than bottled water), and my time is worth absolutely nothing, and a trip to Woodcraft always induces the drool reflex, I did not fancy the return trip. In a stroke of what only may be described as pure genius, I got out my economy Japanese pull saw and my jumbo roll of duct tape (okay, some call it Duck tape, and you can buy it by that name, but since Duck tape is probably a brand name, I'll use the generic duct tape). By carefully slicing the duct tape in longitudinal half, having first torn it off to roughly the length of the pull saw blade, I applied the tape two layer thick in very close proximity to the teeth. This provided ample clearance from the tooth set to permit my saw to act as if it were in fact a flush cut saw. And, with the tape removed, it returns to its state of pull saw.

4) For the past ten years, I have somewhat impatiently held my Makita BO4552 1/4 sheet sander until it stopped vibrating. If I set it down, it walked around, threatening to amble to the edge of the elevated surface and fall perilously to the floor. Today, in a most serendipitious moment, I placed it, still furiously vibrating (although switched off) on a towel lying haphazardly on the bench. Eureka! Although it continued to vibrate, the towel acted as a vibration absorber and the little Makita sat right there until it tired of vibration. Just so you understand how hard the old habits die, twice during my plug sanding session I held it until it quit. Old dogs and new tricks take a while to become friends, I guess.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Jim, thanks for the great tips and your most eloquent description of same:icon_thum.

So, what was your resolution to the "NOT SO SNAPPY" plug cutter dilemma?:dontknow:
I have a set but haven't used them yet...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Jim, you write great posts. Always a pleasure to read. But why would you want the taper to be / \ instead of \ /. I think you'd want the plug to get tighter as you tap it in, right? Or were you describing it upside down as chucked into the drill press? Are we saying the same thing? Am I using too many questions? Like, totally?

Great tip on the Q-tips. Never thought about it. What's especially stupid is that I HAVE BEEN USING Q-TIPS FOR REMOVING GLUE. But not for applying. Like, duh?

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto on th eSnappy tapered plug experience. I thought I was hallucinating. No taper at all! :icon_scraCould they have packaged/labeled a batch incorrectly?!?!?!?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jim, you write great posts. Always a pleasure to read. But why would you want the taper to be / \ instead of \ /. I think you'd want the plug to get tighter as you tap it in, right? Or were you describing it upside down as chucked into the drill press? Are we saying the same thing? Am I using too many questions? Like, totally?

If the plug cutter cut like \ / into the face of the board, you'd never get the plug cutter out. But cutting like / \ allows for easy plugger cutter extraction. You just have to flip the plug over after you pry/cut/cuss it out of the board. Clear as mud?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
First, thanks for the compliments on the posts. It's just so easy to get published on NCWW.

Yep, upside down as chucked in. I'm not worried about tighter as I BANG (not tap) it in, I'd just like it to fit a little easier. I had the big tweezers out, trying to get the plugs straight, but they only straighted after some hammer persuastion.

And that Q-tip of the hat you gave goes to the inestimable and invariably erudite Travis Porter.

Still waiting for the taper mileage reports of other plug cutting members.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If the plug cutter cut like \ / into the face of the board, you'd never get the plug cutter out.
You know, I never thought about that. :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh: Makes perfect sense. Of course, it's a pain in the rump when you have to make a plug for plywood, it means you can't match the grain on the veneer. I remember thinking at the time how stupid it was that the cutter was "inverted". Guess it wasn't so stupid after all. :embaresse

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Of course, it's a pain in the rump when you have to make a plug for plywood, it means you can't match the grain on the veneer. I remember thinking at the time how stupid it was that the cutter was "inverted". Guess it wasn't so stupid after all. :embaresse

With the face down and if the material was thin enough could you cut all the way through so you could match the grain??? Just wonderin'...

DavidF

New User
David
I have a set of Veritas tapered plug cutters and they really are tapered and do a great job.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jim,

Here's another one for a Great Write Up. IT was very informative and really funny. I too use the Makita 1/4 sheet sanders ( I have three) as well as ROS's and I really appreciate the towel trip.

Thank you.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
great tips jim! I use the router to trim plugs.:icon_thum I have one set up just for that purpose:gar-La; akchooally I several set up for several purposes!:gar-Bi I find I can trim them nearly flush and clean cut. I made a base for it that looks like a "O" with a big hole in it and fitted a 1/2" strait bit in the router Just below the "O" leaving a few thousanths of the plug standing proud.:eusa_danc

Glennbear

Glenn
If the plug cutter cut like \ / into the face of the board, you'd never get the plug cutter out. But cutting like / \ allows for easy plugger cutter extraction. You just have to flip the plug over after you pry/cut/cuss it out of the board. Clear as mud?

I have found it easiest to blue tape the cut ends of the plugs at the board surface and then resaw the board on the BS to free the plugs. The tape eliminates chasing them all over the shop floor. I too have one of the Makita sanders and appreciate the towel tip to stop the swan dives off the bench top :gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have found it easiest to blue tape the cut ends of the plugs at the board surface and then resaw the board on the BS to free the plugs. The tape eliminates chasing them all over the shop floor. I too have one of the Makita sanders and appreciate the towel tip to stop the swan dives off the bench top :gar-La;

the tape trick works well.:icon_thum as far as the towel...... catchin the sander before it hits the floor..... well...... that sharpens the old reflexes now don't it!:rotflm:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I use a very inexpensive flush cut saw from Harbor Freight. If one is nearby I would recommend it.

Sometimes I just wait until the glue is dry and use my belt sander.

I have both tapered and untapered plug cutters but I usually use an untapered. You may get a little better fit with the tapered but you also may have to shave some of the small end of the plug off to get it to go in far enough. The fit depends on the depth of the countersink. Detectability depends more on a good color/grain match than on the fit.

I like a little 3/8 countersink with drill bit in it over top of a phillips head bit. I haven't seen one recently but they work well if you don't push on them too hard. You get the pilot hole and countersink in one step and can just pull that part off without opening the chuck to drive the screw.

Sometimes it seems best to deliberately make the plug show - make it look like it is decorative - by using a contrasting wood.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS