Plexiglass Finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
While surfing the web last night I came across an unusal idea for finishing pens, and I suppose, other items as well.

Has anyone heard of, or tried this? The article I read said you could put small pieces of broken plexiglass in a clean paint can, cover with a small amount of acetone, and stir over several days until the plexiglass was disolved.

The solution could then be applied to pens in several layers, evaporating the solvent, building up plexiglass, then sanding it smooth, similar to the process of completing a CA finish. The final sanding is progressively finer and finer, down to a micro-mesh.

What do you think?

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've seen pens finished with a Plexiglas finish, and they look great. It works very similar to a CA finish, and actually are very similar entities. CA leaves a acrylic layer on the pen once the solvents flash off, and a Plexiglas finish does the same thing (Plexiglas is a brand name for a type of acrylic plastic) once the acetone flashes off. Plexiglas dissolved in acetone is also used to stabilize woods, and results in, for example, a pen blank that doesn't need any finish applied to it, just polishing and buffing due to the impregnation of acrylic throughout the blank.
I think that it could be difficult to work with on larger pieces because it dries very quickly.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Plexiglas dissolved in acetone is also used to stabilize woods, and results in, for example, a pen blank that doesn't need any finish applied to it, just polishing and buffing due to the impregnation of acrylic throughout the blank.
Dave:)

Yep but you forgot to mention, it water proofs the blank and is very sticky when wet, be careful not to glue your fingers together. Don't ask me how I know this :roll:

Atcually I found 2 parts acetone to 1 part plexiglas is about the right consistancy for punky pen blank stabilization. It takes several days for the plexiglass to fully desolve in the acetone. First you'll notice a big glob of plexi in the bottom for the jar. Then after a few more days the glob disappears. Carefully dump the dry blanks in to the mixture make sure there is enough mixture to cover the blanks, top off with a little acetone if needed and apply some pressure. After a few more days the blanks will sink to the bottom of the jar. slowly release the pressure, and let sit for another day. Apply pressure again for a few more days. then slowly release the pressure again and open the jar, carefully fish out the blanks and air dry for a day or so and you got pickeled pen blanks. :-D
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6616

I'm still in the experimental stages of acetone/plexi pen blank stabilization and have not nailed it down completely yet, so use at your own risk. I feel so much better that the secret sauce is no long a secret :slap:.

Thanks

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I have been using plexiglass and acetone for about 2&1/2 years to stabilize corn cobs and wood for pen blansk.
My thoughts are1 it is not a good finish.Pour out the plexi mix from a glass jar.Do not rinse the jar and let the acetone flash off.
after the plexi has hardened it is possible to "Scrape" off the plexi from the inside of the jar with a finger nail.
Not good for a finish.
As far as competing with a commercial stabilizing set up at home vacuum set up I don't see it happening.
Even with a commercial product it still requires a finish.(I.e dyamond wood or commercially stabilized blanks. if it aint entirely plastic then there is some wood there)
Thinking other wise is sheer foolishness or just plain lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS