Plaques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Well I haven't done much of anything regarding ww for quite a while. Wife and I are adopting and she wanted me to be involved in some of the nursery decorating. She purchased some unfinished pine plaques from Michaels. She wanted me to put some pictures on them.

I asked a few months back about how to go about doing this and got some great suggestions: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f55/painting-art-bare-wood-21532/

So I finally got started this week:
1. Had to sand them down (even though wife though they were ready to go, they had some rough spots).

Used 100,150 and 220 grit. Don't know if that is good, but that seemed to work pretty well. Because it was pine, I applied a minwax pre-stain wood conditioner and then re-sanded the raised grain with the 220 grit. Then I applied a very light poly/stain and almost immediately wiped it off (didn't want it too dark).

After that dried, I used some transfer paper to get the coloring page pic LOML picked out onto the plaque. Then came the fun part, I am not an artist, and I had to mix my own acrylic paints to get "Pooh" colors. I painted it on and now all I have to do is 3 more with different pics and put some sort of protective coating on and then hang them!

Any suggestions for the top coat? I'll post more pics when I finish the other 3. I'll be working on them in the evenings this week.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Will, nice job on the plaque and congrats on the adoption. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

You could probably get by with a couple of coats of General Finishes polycrylic as a top coat. It goes on real easy, you can build up coats fairly quickly, and it doesn't have too bad of an odor.

HTH,
Brian.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yes polycrylic in the spray cans. Make sure the paint has a few days to dry before applying. You only need a couple VERY light coats.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Congratulations on the adoption. It takes special people to adopt. And we will take a new woodworker into the family any way you want to get them here. I have actually been thinking about adopting lately as our kids are grown now. And great job on the plaque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS