Planting Grass

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
I've got a number of bare spots that I want to repair. I think the right way is to loosen the soil a few inches, mix in some top soil or compost, spread the seed, add some feritlizer, cover the seed about 1/4" with soil, roll the seed to crush it, water. That's what I think I know. Is that process about right? Is the scotts patch mix (seed, fertilizer and mulch in one box) a good idea or just marketing hype.

Thanks
Rick

bphaynes

Parker
Corporate Member
First of all, I would recommend a high quality grass seed that contains 0% weeds and 0% other crop seed. You want as close to 100% grass seed. Good options for us in NC are Triple Threat from Southern Seed or GCI Turf grass seed. You can prepare the bare spots by using a hand tool like a garden weasel, then throw the seed down and garden weasel it in to get good seed to soil contact. Then cover it with something like peat moss and then water to keep the seed moist until it germinates. It's been very dry recently other than this past weekend so regular watering is important to get it to germinate. You might be able to use Scotts, but I tend to think it's over marketed and just getting a high quality grass seed and peat moss has worked for me.

J_Graham

Graham
Corporate Member
What is the best time of year to plant grass seed in North Carolina?
If you want cool season grasses fall is best. Where your at (apex) cool season grass can be tricky depending on your shade/watering situation. Most warm season type grasses are put in with sod or sprigs (grass shoots) anytime between early April to August.
If you want "green" which is what I call my yard that I don't want to fuss with most of your blends you get at big box stores should thrive early spring to give you some ground cover.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS