Plans for drawing or drafting Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

New User
KO
Looking for plans to make something like this https://www.jerrysartarama.com/vanguard-drawing-and-drafting-tables?custom_ref=wV4n5P
any ideas where I can find something like this?

0v13601000000-st-01-alvin-vanguard-table-van42.1541090090.jpg

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Not sure where you'd find the plans for that table but it wouldn't be difficult to develop plans based on the photos and some dimensions. I designed a different arrangement to support the top on the table I designed due to the weight of the top.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hopefully Bill Clemmons will post a pic of the one he designed. It is not stand-alone but built into his workshop cabinets. It folds completely out of the way so the cabinet top is usable when it is folded up.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This is the drafting table Ken is referring to. The first pic is folded down to use. The second is folded up and out of the way.

Are you building the drafting table as a piece of furniture because you like the style, or do you plan on actually using it to do drafting. If the latter, I would suggest learning SketchUp. It's free and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Also takes up a lot less room in the shop/home. I hardly ever use my drafting table any more.

IMG_13352.JPG

IMG_13481.JPG

KevinO

New User
KO
This is the drafting table Ken is referring to. The first pic is folded down to use. The second is folded up and out of the way.

Are you building the drafting table as a piece of furniture because you like the style, or do you plan on actually using it to do drafting. If the latter, I would suggest learning SketchUp. It's free and easy to use once you get the hang of it. Also takes up a lot less room in the shop/home. I hardly ever use my drafting table any more.

IMG_13352.JPG

IMG_13481.JPG

This looks good but I am actually looking for a freestanding piece of furniture as it is a puzzle table for my wife and when not in use a falt table.

KevinO

New User
KO
Not sure where you'd find the plans for that table but it wouldn't be difficult to develop plans based on the photos and some dimensions. I designed a different arrangement to support the top on the table I designed due to the weight of the top.

Looks good, did you build this one or these are your plans? I figured I would need to adjust the size to fit my needs to 34 wide by 30 deep by 30 tall

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
That image is from a model I did for plans for a client who is building it for his wife. She wants to use it as a drafting table. ;)

This is what the whole thing looks like.

The table you showed can easily be modified to the size you're after.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Where did you find the pic of your table example and what are its dimensions as advertised? Interesting, a table for jig saw puzzles? Where do the one-hundred-and one other pieces go while it's in progress? The side table surface in Dave's design could be handy for that.

KevinO

New User
KO
That image is from a model I did for plans for a client who is building it for his wife. She wants to use it as a drafting table. ;)

This is what the whole thing looks like.

The table you showed can easily be modified to the size you're after.
I was just browsing your site and saw this one. I like it (minus the drawers).

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Thanks. The original design for the table includes two sets of legs. Tall for stool or standing height and short for desk height. The drawer and bookcases are hung from the top to facilitate converting the table if desired. This also gives a sort of floating look to the cases. And of course they could be omitted if they aren't wanted.

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
What's going to keep the puzzle pieces from just sliding off when the top is tilted? Just curious as I've not heard of anyone using a drafting table for puzzles.

KevinO

New User
KO
Where did you find the pic of your table example and what are its dimensions as advertised? Interesting, a table for jig saw puzzles? Where do the one-hundred-and one other pieces go while it's in progress? The side table surface in Dave's design could be handy for that.
My plan was to use the drawer as a working surface. She is using a card table now with no extra space and puts the pieces in the box and sits it on the table where she is working so I don't see that as an issue. I have seen the table with a flat side table next to the tilt but not sure I want the table that wide but it is an option. At one time I was looking at adding a drop-down leaf on the side to raise when needed.
Originally I was going to have it like a folding table so I can move it to the closet when not in use but that is becoming too difficult so I changed my focus to make it more like furniture so it can be used as a regular table when flat.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Originally I was going to have it like a folding table so I can move it to the closet when not in use but that is becoming too difficult so I changed my focus to make it more like furniture so it can be used as a regular table when flat.

How about making it a bit like a game table with a removable top and a sub-top that is slightly recessed for the puzzle pieces? No need for any hinging or support hardware. Or, you could make the top in two pieces and hinge them on the ends so they can fold over and hang down on the sides during puzzle time.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Kevin, it must have been something I ate last night but I woke up thinking about your table. :D Anyway, I sketched out another idea. The center hinge up section would rest underneath the top so there'd be clearance for the puzzle. You could still have a drawer to hold the unused pieces and there's horizontal surfaces for drinks and snacks. Gotta have snack when puzzling. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS