Planing board w/ changing grain direction

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
I’m trying to true up a piece of birch for practicing hand cut joinery and just wanted to plane the edge grain for the heck of it to make it feel smooth. In doing so I noticed the grain goes from uphill to downhill on the same face due to a knot on the board’s face.

I’ve tried a Stanley #4 smoother as well as my Veritas low angle jack but I cannot get the edge flat across the entire length. I tried a shooting board and just in the vise.

Is there even a way to do this other than getting it close then finish with a card scraper ?

Attachments

Graywolf

Richard
Corporate Member
Mike is right, plane in different directions, and the scraper will help around the knot. You picked a fun board!

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Perfect thanks ! I tried the card scraper after posting this and it helped for sure but I didn't think to start in the middle of the knot. It still felt a little rough even though I had good shavings. Is this simply where sanding has to come into play ?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Its a challenge for even the most experienced.

Be sure blade is extremely sharp, cap iron within 2-3mm of edge, mouth closed as much as possible, take very thin shavings (<.002")

There are other ways to address, such as high bevel angle on a LA plane, or an accessory high angle frog (the only one I know of is Lie Nielsen)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Nice solution. Did you just buy an old plane and fix it up just for this or did you buy a replacement blade and chip break and modify it for this or did you just buy Rob's set up he sell's ?
I purchased an extra plane iron, no need to replace the chip breaker.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS