planer

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I always thought this was logical - but when I saw the below video (The Snekker Show) I thought well, there is a potential problem...

BUT, with so many people having upgraded their DW735 and not having heard numerous complaints of tripping circuit breakers or other problems... maybe there is something wrong with his test???

I don't understand (logically or empirically)
1. If there is less cutter engaged in the wood with a shelix upgrade, the amperage should be lower.
2. If the three-blade set-up is logically a higher amp draw, do we see a "stutter" in amperage as each blade engages the wood?
-------------------------------------------------------

Hank, There is no way I can watch a 45 minute video. Lol.

My way of thinking is you are correct about the "stutter". There would be a high ( during contact) and a low ( no contact).
With segment cutters always having the same amount of cutters in the wood at all times during the cut, I would assume that the amp draw would always be steady toward the high side.
I'm sure wood species, feed rate, etc., all play a part.

I do know that when I purchased my Grizzly planer with the Byrd shelix cutter head, (replaced a Belsaw w/straight knives), I was so impressed with the results after planing that I immediately spent $600 and replaced the straight knives on my 8" Delta jointer.

When I purchased the 12" Grizzly jointer it wasn't available with a byrd shelix head, only with straight knives or the spiral head which has square segments that act like small straight knives.

I purchased the jointer w/ straight knives along with the Byrd shelix head ( was cheaper through Grizzly than Byrd or Holbren).

I drove to PA and picked up the unit. Without ever running the machine I removed the straight knife head and installed the Byrd. I now have a brand new, never used 12" straight knife cutter head, which to me would make a good boat anchor, but you better wear some good gloves. Lol.

For anyone that can't decide what the value of the shelix system is over straight knives, watch a machine in operation and you will see the results. It is a known fact that HSS straight knives may give a "better" finish than carbide, only because of the fact that the molecular composition of carbide doesn't allow as good of a finished edge as HSS.

Any tool, whatever the material it's made of, starts to dull as soon as it touches the material being cut. Carbide will outlast HSS 10 times or more.

The biggest advantage that I have found with shelix/carbide ( I do a lot of exotic woods) is that I never look at grain direction. Very seldom do I ever get any tearout, even on knots.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I always thought this was logical - but when I saw the below video (The Snekker Show) I thought well, there is a potential problem...

BUT, with so many people having upgraded their DW735 and not having heard numerous complaints of tripping circuit breakers or other problems... maybe there is something wrong with his test???

I don't understand (logically or empirically)
1. If there is less cutter engaged in the wood with a shelix upgrade, the amperage should be lower.
2. If the three-blade set-up is logically a higher amp draw, do we see a "stutter" in amperage as each blade engages the wood?

If the Snekker show is right, why hasn't there been a response form DeWalt or another YouTuber to counter his assertions....

I would love to upgrade my DW735, but it is simply not justifiable (in my mind) simply because there are ways for me to deal with chip-out / tear-out (low-angle plane, scraper, or simply KEEPING my tools SHARP - I guess that would be #1)

In addition, thinking about end-grain cutting boards or birdseye maple or curly maple, sapele with contrary grain, I would assume, it would be preferable to use a drum sander... (thinking - better finish and less chance for a shorts-changing moment if a piece of wood blew-up in the planer)

His test is valid. I have found some references to tripping the breaker, but you get away with it because breakers are designed to limit not current, but current over time that would overheat the wires and switches. As you usually pause between boards, that gives time for the thermal strip to cool off. Typically we don't always run full width so a typical run probably squeaks in.

As I have made clear elsewhere, I hold DeWalt in contempt for false advertising as they put 15 A plug and advertise it as 15A, when it is a 20A at least.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS