Planer will not feed boards through

Leatherneck

New User
Tom
I have a Delta 22-560 that is over 20 years old and only been used a very few times over the years. It looks new and everything is OK except that it will not feed. The problem is the in-feed roller. It looks alright and is clean of resin, but it seems slick and very solid. I can't remember if the rollers are supposed to feel like erasers or are supposed to be very hard. If the latter, I can try adjusting the height. What I do know is that the knives are fine. I have tested pushing a small section of board through with another board and the machine planes it properly. My biggest problem is that (if the rollers are bad -most logical situation) Delta stopped producing rollers for this planer a long time ago, and all the planner parts sites to not have any. Is there anyone out there who can suggest any remedy to this situation? I would really hate to give up on a very nice looking 12 1/2" planer because one part is shot.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If the rubber actually is bad you can have the rollers recovered.

finzer roller in Kernersville, NC.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
It may seem simple but have you cleaned and waxed the bottom? I've had the same problem before and that's cleared it up for me.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I understand your statement about planing OK when you push a board through but I would still unplug the planner and actually check the knives. I bought a planner that I still use for $100. The guy that sold it to me thought it had issues with the electrical cord and didn't know why it was not feeding. The feed rollers turned normally. I took it home and looked at the knives. It looked like they had never been sharpened. Once they were sharp and adjusted, the planner worked great. It might not be your issue but I would look at the knives. Dull knives might still plane a board but they will create so much resistance the feed rollers may not be able to push the board past them. Waxing the bottom (as has been mentioned) is also a good idea but I doubt it will make enough difference to make it work.

wfuuna

New User
wfuuna
^ this one was where I was going. I have a 20-year-old 22-580, but I think it is pretty similar to yours. Every time my planer stops feeding well, I check my blades. Usually there is a nick in one or something else wrong with them that slows it down and interrupts a good feed rate (if at all). Also check to see if the dust collection is not partially clogged, which will slow things down.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
A slick in-feed roller doesn't seem right to me. Gotta have some friction to push the board. (My Powermatic has a serrated roller and my Makita has a rubber-like high friction covering). Could it be that the coating on the roller has completely worn off?? Good to know re-covering can be done as close as Kernersville.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Does the planer have two speeds to feed boards - mine does. If the lever to switch between speeds gets stuck in the middle - not all the way out or all the way in, it could cause the feed not to feed. Just a wild guess.

Leatherneck

New User
Tom
I would like to thank everyone for all your tips and information. I would like to answer your questions starting with the first. --- The rollers are turning well and are not slipping. I have cleaned the rollers but have never waxed the bottom plate. Will spray Pledge or something like that do it, or does it need a hard type floor wax? The knives are in good shape and sharp. They have never been used on anything except soft wood. There is no debris or dust problem. The machine is hooked up to a strong dust collection/suction system. I have not used Acetone on the rollers as petroleum based products are supposed to be bad for them, however I might try that remedy as well. I don't know what Rubber Rejuvenater is but I will look into that also. The planer has only one speed for feeding. Again, thank you for all your suggestions. I am especially glad to know about the shop in Kernersville. I would never have known about them and I will be very happy to get the rollers to them if none of the above ideas work out. For the time being I have a nice collection of various hand planers which I keep very sharp and use frequently on small projects. (so much more quiet to use and saves set up time as on a machine) I also have a small power hand planer which I can always dust off and put to use ( I think I used it last about 10 years ago). Once again, Thank you.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Don't use Pledge, those types of wax have silicone in them which can give you problems with finishing. Best is to use good old fashioned paste wax, like Johnson and Johnson's. There are also specialty products you can get, but paste wax seems to do just as well for a fraction of the cost.
I'd be cautious with acetone for cleaning rubber, maybe try it on a small section first. I've had some luck cleaning the rubber on my jointer pads and Grrripper with isopropyl alcohol. That should be a little gentler on the rubber. If you don't have any, some hand sanitizer may work just as well :)

Jeff

New User
Jeff
1. Acetone is not a petroleum based product and it should be okay for cleaning your rollers as well as isopropyl alcohol or ethanol. Mineral spirits is petroleum based and may make them sticky (gummy).

wfuuna

New User
wfuuna
a simple white candle is good enough. Take it and scribble like a crayon all over the surface.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If it was a cheap lunchbox planer I wouldn’t suggest Finzer. New rubber on a roller could be 50-100 dollars or more.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS