planer shed - if you were going to

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
build a planer shed (dedicated to nothing but planing 8 ~ 16' lumber) how large would you make the building?

MIKE NOAH

New User
Mike
If the budget is tight, which mine always seems to be, it looks like you could get away with 8 x 16 ft storage type building with double doors on both ends and an all weather outfeed support at the back side door. The amount of storage you want inside,whether or not you want heating and cooling, if you need an enclosed space to restrict noise all could double that size though.
Just rambling thoughts I guess,
Mike

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
At least 40' long, to allow for 16' infeed, 16' outfeed, and 4' more on each end of the board for maneuvering.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Assuming the planer itself needs to be inside to protect it from the elements, I'd start w/ an 8'x8' building to house the planer, w/ a wide door on opposite walls. Then I'd put a 14' shed roof on either end (over the doors) to keep the boards out of the weather as they enter and exit the planer.

HTH

Bill

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Maybe start with the dimensional footprint of the planer in the center of a square or rectangle. Design outward in 4' increments so that you'll be able to use a full 4' sheet of siding with minimal waste from ripping. Maybe 12' x 16' for a starter. :icon_scra

Consider the functionality of the setup and design as you envision it in actual use. How am I going to actually process a 16' board without bouncing off of the walls? What a PITA, I should have considered this that and the other before building this thing! :BangHead: Carriage style doors at each end is a good suggestion from another member.

I tend to overbuild stuff, but once built what you see is what you're stuck with! So...we can take your budget to a new level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS