Planer replacement blade choice

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
It's time to purchase another set of blades for my DeWalt 734 planer and I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choices on Amazon. Seems a set, all made in China, run from about 30 bucks to 60 bucks but I can't tell the difference if there even is any differences. Anyone have a preference or a recommendation?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Well sure there are... Are any manufacturers specifying it?

Infinity states that their HSS DeWalt planer blades are made for them by Bohler Steel in Austria so I imagine that Infinity sets the steel specification for the manufacturer.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I would agree, but what is it?

Infinity: "a premium grade of high-chromium steel". Why would we need to know the exact specification for "what is it"? There are several high-chromium steels but I doubt that any blade suppliers get that specific for us.

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 9.47.13 AM.png

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Infinity: "a premium grade of high-chromium steel". Why would we need to know the exact specification for "what is it"? There are several high-chromium steels but I doubt that any blade suppliers get that specific for us.

View attachment 194268
Youre making my point, another poster commented there are different grades, none of which do we know what they are. So, unless we know specifically, generic "HSS" is what youre getting and my advice was buy on price then. In the event they do specify, a couple do, then you can make a more informed choice based on that. Also, "a premium grade of high-chromium steel" is a horrible description for buying anything, nothing but meaningless words unless they back it up with one of the many tool steel specs.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I posted this before, most HSS from China is poor quality, vs most carbide from China is ok, go figure...........

The cheaper HSS usually has either a incomplete or incorrect tempering, so the Metal loses temper under strain and/or heat.
Additionally, the steel does not have the stressing removed from it after tempering the metal, this cause adds to the shortening the life of the knife.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Don't remember the manufacturers name, but bought a new set for my Jet planer from tool company in the U.K. Best price I found, Amazon, and the quality is good.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS