Planer advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
So I'm in the market for a new planer after my old delta model from Lowes has pooped out. It was never quite right, the boards would come out slightly thicker on one side, and snipe was a big issue. So I'm kinda happy to be looking for another.

I'm looking at the dewalt 735 with the in and out tables, but wondering if with another portable I'm going to run into the same sort of issues (and I've read the blades chip and wear very easily).

I am considering also the grizzly G0453P 15" 3 HP 220V Planer, Polar Bear Series®

I know it's way more machine, but I'm not sure if I need all that. I hardly ever use the full 12.5" of the one I'm replacing.. actually, with my purposes I usually feed through wood less than 4" wide.

My only concern with the different planers is that I do use it a lot... I've got a couple orders coming up where I'm going to easily be running about 300 bf of walnut. I do hope to build my drums full time eventually, and I plane all the staves to thickness as a first step. Would it be worth it for the more industrial machine, or is the dewalt going to suit my needs?

Anyone upgraded from a portable to a 400+ pounder? What are the real differences other than size and weight and power? Also, I have a shop just under 300sf so every big tool I add I really have to think about.

I've not used anything other than my old delta, so no sure what to compare to.
Thanks for any input!

manfre

New User
Manfre
One advantage of using a wider planer for narrow boards is that you can go longer without needing to resharpen the blades. Not sure if that justifies the extra cost and space.

Thanks for any input![/QUOTE said:
I have the dewalt 735 with the infeed and out feed tables.... I it big but not too big to pick up carry out side and use.... I terms of blade Infinity make HSS blade for it that people say are much better then the factory ones... I still have the factory blades in mine.. One upgrade that helps it that has been talked about here is the Wixey digital gauge for it.... other then buying the infeed and outfeed tables the best $40bucks spent

other options but that is my feedback from what I own

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I have the dewalt 735 with the infeed and out feed tables.... I it big but not too big to pick up carry out side and use.... I terms of blade Infinity make HSS blade for it that people say are much better then the factory ones... I still have the factory blades in mine.. One upgrade that helps it that has been talked about here is the Wixey digital gauge for it.... other then buying the infeed and outfeed tables the best $40bucks spent

Thanks. I'll look into those blades. I have seen the wixey gauge.. that acutally might be really nice for what I'm doing.

I've also seen a mod that lets you put a helical cutter head in it.. that interests me as well, thought I have never used one of those either. Dewalt 735 Install

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Just searching recent posts on local CL, and about $1000 +/-will get you either a Woodmaster 12", Delta 15", or Jet 20".

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I also have the 735 and like it a lot. I also have the blades from Infinity and they are better than the stock ones - it's been a few years and I haven't flipped them yet (they're double-sided). Snipe isn't much of an issue as long as the tables are adjusted properly. Most of the time I'll lift up on the board as it comes out if I'm really worried about snipe. Some day I'll upgrade to a larger machine like the Grizzly. I upgraded from a 6" jointer to a 12" and it cuts smoother and seems to do a better job overall. I would expect a larger planer to do the same but the 735 is a great planer and I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
One comfort issue not mentioned- the bigger planers have induction motors, so while not quiet are much quieter than benchtop planers that have noisy universal motors.

eyekode

New User
Salem
From what I have heard most really like the 735. I owned a 734 and it was a decent machine. Mine was tuned to have almost no snipe.

I now have a 15" Woodtek and owned an off brand 15" 4 poster that was very similar previously. The bigger planer can take a much deeper cut without bogging down. They also do better with very rough boards. It also is quieter. However I have yet to dial out snipe. And although knives last longer they are much harder to replace.

Also note the overall surface quality will be better with the lunchbox planer.

I upgraded to the Woodtek because it had a helical head. It is even quieter and does great on wild grain.

I second Bruce's comment: consider used. I paid much less than 1k for my used Woodtek.
Salem

ehpoole

Ethan
These posts may disappear soon due to the upgrade (depending upon which side of the backup they fall), so read up quickly!

I own a DW735 with the Wixey DRO -- highly recommended -- (and w/o the extension tables) and have been very happy with it. The factory blades do eventually get small knicks in them (especially if you run lots of PVA glue-lines through it, at least in my experience) however the knicks are quite small. Small enough that a couple of swipes with 120grit (hand sanding, no less) is enough to eliminate them once you aquire a knick or two. You can also opt to slide one of the three blades to the left or right a hair to eliminate the fine ridges left behind by such knicks.

I have only used the DeWalt brand blades in my DW735, so I cannot comment on the Infinity blades... I'm not an especially heavy user (my health slows me down quite a bit) but I have run a few hundred board feet of everthing from Purpleheart to Hard Maple to Poplar to Douglass Fir, Pine, SYP, and R&W Oak through it and I have only two very fine knicks in my blades (I have not bothered to shift either blade over). I am also still on my first side of the initial blades (I have not yet flipped them over). For my purposes, a few hundred board feet of such woods is acceptable for the $27 each side of the knives retails for (~$55/double-sided set) -- YMMV.

But, as much as I love my DW735, if I were regularly running hundreds of board feet through my planer on a frequent basis -- and especially if I were thinking of going with helical insert cutters -- it would be a no brainer to opt for a more industrial 15" thickness planer with good specs. It is an investment, so investigate your choice and choose wisely.

The small portable planers generally leave a smoother finish (especially on low-speed with the DW735) and can take smaller shavings off a board (due to smooth rubber feed rollers versus spiked metal feed rollers). However, if you are regularly running a significant volume of hard woods through your planer, a larger planer with induction motors will have a much greater operating life than any portable planer with a universal motor.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I upgraded to the Woodtek because it had a helical head. It is even quieter and does great on wild grain.

Do you know what brand/model head it has? I also have an Woodtek 15" planer and want to put in a helical head, but have not been able to get an answer from either Woodtek or Byrd as to which one will fit. If you can tell me, I'd be most grateful. I've been avoiding the job as I didn't want to pull it apart and then not be able to get a compatible replacement!

kclark

New User
Kevin
I myself have the Dewalt 735 with In & Out feed tables plus the Wixey DRO. Has been a great unit, but I have been doing a lot more planing than I thought that I would when I initially bought the planer. I have only had the planer since October. I have been seriously considering selling my unit and buying either the Shop Fox or Grizzly unit with Helical Head. Can't make up my mind.

DWSmith

New User
David
After going through 4 of the lunchbox planers, Ryobi AP10, Ryobi AP12, Delta 12" and Delta 13", I now am using a Grizzly 15" with a spiral head. And I am kicking myself for not buying the 20" instead.

You get more capacity, faster cuts, IMPROVED blade changing with the spiral head, quieter operation without the screaming motor and a professional quality machine. The DeWalt is just another lunchbox planer so you will be right back where you were before. Might as well have the old Delta repaired and put back into service.

BTW With the wider capacity, you will be able to stagger your stock through the planer evening out the blade wear and helping the blades to stay sharp longer. Always planing in one place will lead to quicker and more uneven wear on the blades and may contribute to having the stock thinner on one side.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There are some recent threads here from both MarkE and me about the Grizzly 15" with the spiral cutterhead that we both bought about the same time. I've been extremely happy with mine. I added a Digital Read Out to it and now it really shines. I would recommend that you spend the extra dollars on the spiral cutter. It is quieter and leaves a better finish on the wood. Not to mention the ease of replacement and length of time before you'll need to replace the cutters.

- Ken.

eyekode

New User
Salem
It depends on how they are adjusted. You can adjust the springs on the rollers to apply tons of pressure or very little. I have mine adjusted for relatively light pressure. But still taking a very light cut (1/64th-1/128th?) will leave slight horizontal impressions from the rollers. They are pretty easy to plane/scrape/sand past.

With my old lunchbox taking a 1/32nd full width cut was aggressive. With one of the more industrial machines it is a light cut. Please take my numbers with a grain of salt. I have mostly stopped measuring :).

Maybe someone in your area could let you see the difference?
Salem

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
KenofCary,
Can you post the links, or some pictures, of the exact installation of the Digital Read Out that you installed? That sounds like a wonderful addition. Thank-you, Guy

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
If I remember correctly, Ken and I have the same DRO from Igaging. Here are a couple of pictures of my install.

Grizzly_G0453PX_024.JPG

Grizzly_G0453PX_019.JPG

Grizzly_G0453PX_022.JPG

Grizzly_G0453PX_018.JPG

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Wow. For $32.50 on Amazon, that Digital Readout looks like a very nice item to improve adjustments on the big tools. MarkE, I am assuming that you have the 12" installed on your planer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS