Plane Till Ideas

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
I'm looking for ideas of how to keep planes upright in a plane till. A few weeks ago I bought wall mounted a tool cabinet from a shop that was closing (retiring). The previous owner did not use it for storing hand planes, but I have stripped it down to refinish it and removed all of the tool storage pieces inside it. I've looked at some plans and I am leaning toward some type of a turn latch at the top and a rails down the sides and at the bottom. The cabinet does not have an incline currently built in and its pretty narrow so I dont think I could angle the planes much if any and still close the doors. A No. 8 standing straight up will just fit with minimal clearance for the door. I've seen some with boot laces, some with rare earth magnets, etc. Curious if anyone here would be willing to share thoughts or photos on how you store planes and the making of these items.

~Will

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Watch some Rob Cosman videos. He usually stands in front of a well stocked plane till at some point. He has described the design build of the whole wall of cabinets behind his bench. It must be a continuing build of several years.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
James Write (Wood By Write) has a till design. I think it is gravity top sliders , side rails etc. I am lucky to use a slight incline.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I constructed my cabinet and added an angled shelf for planes. Since that time I have amassed many more planes and there is not enough room for all of them.
If I had it to do over again, I would find another alternative. The angled ramp takes a significant amount of real estate in the cabinet. I would use the space for other hand tools instead
I also find that the place for every tool and every tool goes in its place is not conducive to my work style. Generally I am messy and may have 4 or 5 handtools out at one time. My shop is a disaster with no cleanup during a build and I clean and put everything away when the project is finished. Often weeks of total chaotic mess with pencils and measuring tools everywhere. I promise myself every time I clean the shop that I will do better next time but I always resort to my style.

Echd

C
User
From an ugly but practical standpoint, a handful of these magnet toolholders would probably do you well.

im not a plane collector although I do have an assortment of users and I'm thinking about changing my space consuming rack to a few of these. I already hold my chisels, marking knives, and some handsaws on one. Brass and wooden planes need not apply...

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Mine has a 12 degree angle and countersunk magnets for additional reinforcement
THIS ^^

Easy to play with it till you’re confortable. My large shoulder plane needed a retainer clasp (not put on yet in pic)

Toolcab7 copy.JPG

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Mine sit vertical like Michaels, due to limited space. Unlike all the others- this is simple and fast..... but not pretty. Utilitarian would be the best description...
image.jpg

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
Mine sit vertical like Michaels, due to limited space. Unlike all the others- this is simple and fast..... but not pretty. Utilitarian would be the best description...
View attachment 218735
I too will be doing upright storage most likely. I don't mind the utilitarian look, I also like simple and fast. I like your saw storage on the right there as well. Thanks for sharing!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS