Plane restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
Ok, so I have a few hand me down planes that I have had 20+ years and never used. I believe the majority of them were my grandfathers. ####, I can't even seem to locate them all but there are here somewhere.

I currently have a bench plane that I tore apart and started working on the blade. It started out looking like a "U" and I've got a somewhat flat edge but I just don't think I'm doing it justice.

My son actually works for Ashcroft Saw and Tools. When I ask him, he just tells me to do it myself. "it's easy" Anyway, he's busy with life and work and I wouldn't mind restoring this old bench plane so I can use it.

Is there anyone in the S. Raleigh area that would be willing to clean this thing up for me without it costing me half a fortune? It just seems that sharpening planes and chisels is outside my realm of expertise at this time.

I can't find a name on this plane other than "Made in the USA" it's likely worth nothing but has some sentimental value.

I'll probably buy a nice block plane in the near future so suggestions on that are appreciated.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I might be able to give you some help with this. If you'd like to swing by my shop with the plane (or planes) we can take a look and possibly get that iron sharpened.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
I might be able to give you some help with this. If you'd like to swing by my shop with the plane (or planes) we can take a look and possibly get that iron sharpened.

Thankyou Mark. I'll have to set up a time with you and come visit.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
MarkE: I've done some research and some work on the plane. It's a "Worth" plane. From my research they are a low dollar, handyman plane. It was still my grandfathers so has a little sentimental value. It being a cheaper plane makes a lot of sense.... Anyway, the sole is high on both ends but relatively flat in the middle. I have honed the iron and it's close, the extreme edges are still a little round.

I think I'll use this plane to practice restoration and buy a better plane to actually work with. It seems the chip breaker and lever cap are proprietary. The frog is stamped.

With all that said, I think I will clean it up, play with it some and display it as an heirloom. If I can effectively restore this one, maybe I can come across an old Stanley or something a little more worthy. I've enjoyed playing with this one.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Sp00ks - if it means anything to you I bought a Worth jack plane at an antiques store here in NB and got it into good working order. It was rough starting out but finally I got the blade honed and sharpened properly and it holds its own on the projects I'm doing. Now I will say that it isn't my primary Jack plane. I have a WoodRiver for the important jobs. But I use the Worth Jack for basic jack needs and also as the follow up plane when using a pseudo scrub plane to plane down boards to thinner sizes. I use the scrub first and then the Worth jack to even them out. Pretty good plane even after someone on this site suggested I toss it in the trash.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I am not very familiar with Worth brand planes. I have had quite a few planes with a stamped steel frog, probably at least one was a Worth plane. Never had much luck getting any of them set up and working well. They just didn't seem to hold their set during use and constantly had to be re-adjusted.

Since it was your Grandfathers plane, restoring it for a display piece is a great way to preserve it's history. If you are looking to get a good user plane, I would look for one with a solid cast frog, Stanley, Sargent, Millers Falls, Union, etc. They are easy to find and plentiful. You can get them in decent condition and restore them yourself, or, for a few more dollars get one that has already been restored and is ready to use.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check with Ed Lebetkin at the tool store above the Woodwright's School in Pittsboro. Not that far from you and Ed can give you a lot of advice on a good user plane. I'd look for a Stanley Bailey myself. They are well made and not too pricey. Bedrocks are better, but are pricey.

http://www.woodwrightschool.com/the-tool-store/

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
I watched Roy on PBS all the time. I had no idea he was in this area. Good lord, I would love to meet him one day. His work always amazed me.

Sorry, Ed led to Woodwright's school which led to Roy.

I really want a small block plane primarily and then maybe a bench plane. I do some picture frames with splines and I think a block plane would be handy for that and light chamfers.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Roy is a very friendly guy and will gladly shake your hand if you can catch him on a break from teaching. Also taking one of his classes (although not cheap) is always a pleasant experience. I'm kinda sorry I moved out of the area for some of those reasons, but then I remember the heat down there.

BTW, I hear that he and Ed will be retiring sometime in the next few years so don't wait around forever to visit. Pittsboro is a great place to visit. Take the wife if you're married and let her visit the shops in downtown while you visit the tool shop. Then you can meet for lunch at the soda shop next to Roy's school. Just check to make sure Ed will be there before making the trip. His hours are somewhat erratic. His email address and phone number are on the web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS