Plane Restoration- Flattening Backs and Reshaping Bevels

Status
Not open for further replies.

craftbeerguy

Craft Beer Guy
User
Good Evening All,

I have finally unboxed about 15 old Bailey and 3 Bedrock planes I'd like to condition for use. Varying condition but mainly good. Includes a 607C and a #8. Most prior to 1926 (several "Types"). I may sell a few in the future so I'm trying not to diminish their value through abrasive cleaning - assuming that diminishes value.

I'm starting with the irons and lapping the soles. I have a flat granite stone, a few waterstones and a honing guide. I have more time than patience. For those of you who have embarked on the initial flattening and bevel-shaping steps, which method did you use? I'm thinking 200 grit silicon carbide paper on the granite. How about extra course diamond stone? Subcontract the work? Invest in a Work Sharp Station?

Thanks in advance

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If any of these may be collectible don’t lap the sole. Flatten the back of the blade for about 1/2 inch from the edge and sharpen the bevel.

Even for a good user most don’t need much work on the sole, just get it flat in front of the mouth and be sure there is not any humps in the center. Most I have found to be slightly hollow behind the mouth and that’s fine.

Do as little as possible to get it working and let the buyer decide if more should be done to suit their taste.

Only do a “full restore” if the whole plane and most parts are rusted so much that it won’t work.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
I cannot speak to the value of your planes or whether or not conditioning them for use would change their value, but I just spent a few hours making mine functional, with a limited supply of tools at my disposal. If you have 15+ to work on, and very little patience, I would consider anything which would make your process more efficient. I think it would be valuable to see what the customer likes too, as Mike alluded to.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're coming to the Extravaganza in Hickory this next weekend, bring a couple of them by our booth and somebody like Mike D can probably give you some advice based on their current condition.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I had a couple cheap planes I bought off e-bay for about $10. I used dry 80gr silicon carbide paper for the initial flattening, and it still was quite messy and time consuming but much faster than 200 or 400. Even used dry, the cast iron contains a lot of carbon/graphite like dust that continually needs to be brushed off the abrasive paper, or it actually acts like graphite dry lubricant. After you get it close, doesn't take a lot of work with finer paper (wet/dry) to pretty the sole up. As far as using, 80 gr it is not too much as long as its run front to back. I have found a highly polished surface results in more surface contact and friction, making it harder to push.

Go

Tom Queen

New User
Tom
I have several old planes that need to be reworked and need to be cleaned up is there a good place for resources to find replacement parts or instructions to restore. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors