Plane lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Wax. I keep a piece of canning wax on the bench at all times. Reapply as needed.

Its cheap and its hand to keep it in your pocket.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Best for me is something I can reapply easily and often, typically a rag sopped with Johnsons Paste wax, or my own concoction of shop/machine oil which is whatever automotive or fixed weight oil + kerosene to thin it down. I've read of many people using WD40. If you are after the absolute best lubricant, then probably something synthetic. Try a quart of 0w-20 Mobil1.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Best for me is something I can reapply easily and often, typically a rag sopped with Johnsons Paste wax, or my own concoction of shop/machine oil which is whatever automotive or fixed weight oil + kerosene to thin it down. I've read of many people using WD40. If you are after the absolute best lubricant, then probably something synthetic. Try a quart of 0w-20 Mobil1.
This is a good discussion tangent -
So how do you determine if a synthetic would cause finishing problems?

(for example, I will not bring a silicone or PTFE lubricant in the shop for fear of finish issues...)

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Hank,

A little late to the conversation, but Charles Hayward recommends Linseed oil on cotton wool (I say flax oil on a t shirt..).

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Any of these suggestions will work, use what you have and what you like or are used to. The main thing is to use it.

btw Camilla oil is just mineral oil with a little perfume.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Any of these suggestions will work, use what you have and what you like or are used to. The main thing is to use it.

btw Camilla oil is just mineral oil with a little perfume.

i always wondered what part of a Camillia was squeezed for oil...there's nothing particularly fragrant on the plant.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I should have said most of the camellia oil you see here.

The real thing, if you can get it...like true tung oil, it is not what you expect to get when you buy it here.

I have a very small bottle that my daughter brought back from Japan for me. It was very expensive and hard to find even over there.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Unfortunately camellia oil has become a generic term used in woodworking and body/hair care products. The oil from camellia japonica is most often associated with historical Japanese woodworking tools/knives, etc. for rust prevention.

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/Camellia-Oil-p/815967.htm

How about Jojoba oil Made in the USA too? LN no longer offers camellia oil at their website.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product/tool-care-jojoba-oil-

And this camellia oil. "A special blend oil, made with natural camellia and liquid paraffin,..."

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/camelliaoil100ml.aspx

Not to fret because there are lots of excellent alternatives in this thread.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Did one of the magazines, want to say PWW, do testing and conclude that camellia oil was one of the worst oils for preventing rust. You can buy camellia oil on Amazon, 100% Camellia Sinensis (if that matters), cold pressed. For the price of it I could buy a lot more 3N1 or WD40 and no doubt be better off for it. You can also buy tung oil on Amazon, just look for "100% tung oil". I'm sure you can buy it other places just that Amazon is convenient.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
My two cents, my better half gave me two candles she no longer liked (and yes she has a candle problem like I have a hand saw problem), I have used these two candles as a hand plane lube for several years without any problems and I use these planes almost daily. This is what works for me what others use I have no insight, but to say I'm trying to reduce the use of petroleum products in my work space so I use vegetable based oils for rust protection.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
One question - three options;
What is the "best" plane sole lubrication?

1. I know some are going to say paraffin wax. (That is what Mike Davis taught me - and it makes a WORLD of difference!)
2. I have seen Mutton tallow - but is that only for wooden planes or does it work well for metal-bodied planes as well?
2a. what is your source for tallow? (Oh, and the HOA got particularity upset when I discussed buying lambs! :cool:)
3. Camellia oil - I understand Camellia oil DOES NOT lubricate the planes, but is simply a rust preventative, is that right?
4. Johnson's wax on a microfiber cloth
5. other options?

Hank after reading the entire thread, its safe to say lots of things work. I am lazy with some things and waxing my planes is one of those things I neglect. I need simple. A can of wax like Johnsons Floor wax is convenient and its easy to leave a rag in the can so I don't loose it like so many things in my day.

I did use linseed oil but after a couple smokin' rags that is gone as a method.

I have a dog that hangs around when I cook glue. I don't need him around sniffing for animal fat so that's off the table.

I don't know if there is a "best lubricant" for planes and from what I can tell there are lots of good ways to get it done... just don't be lazy about applying the lub. Easier said than done.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
I use paste wax as a rust preventative on my metal planes. Then I just use a basic candle. I steal the stubby burned down tapered white candles from our house and keep one on my bench for use during planing sessions. A quick simple zig zag across the sole every so often keeps it gliding smooth. Quick, clean , and easy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS