Plane experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Just wanted everyone to know Tarhead (Mark) officially converted me to the joys of hand tools. I had played around with an old #5 Stanley that was my Grandfathers but never actually appreciated what a hand plane can do. Mark and his wife stopped by my house Sunday evening on his way through WS and brought his battleship #8 Stanley. We proceeded to work my maple bench top and by the time he left we had made a huge dent in getting the top flat. It was amazing how this well tuned Stanley made probably over 100 years ago made such easy work of flattening a 36" x 84" maple top. I sharpened up the blade in my #5 and just about have this top where it needs to be. There is nothing like the feel of making those paper thin wood shavings with a well tuned plane. Mark and his wife are great people and I wanted everyone to know how gracious he was in taking his time to stop by and help me flatten my table. Thanks Mark

Marty

Anyone need a box of thin wood shavings?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Marty, that is definitely a great example of just one of the many benefits you get from being a member at NCWW. We have a bunch of great folks here willing to share their knowledge and experience openly. I am glad to hear you and Mark were able to get your bench top flattened out.

D L

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Travis I got so caught up in the moment I completely forgot about taking some pics. How about I take a pic of the massive piles of wood shavings on the floor and the smooth top on my table? Would that be satisfactory for everyone here?

Marty

DaveO

New User
DaveO
MLB3164 said:
Travis I got so caught up in the moment I completely forgot about taking some pics. How about I take a pic of the massive piles of wood shavings on the floor and the smooth top on my table? Would that be satisfactory for everyone here?

Marty

That would suffice, but action pictures would be better :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave:)

MLB3164

New User
Marty
Who wants to come help me clean this mess up? Almost all of what you see came from that aircraft carrier Stanley #8 of Marks.

TABLE.jpg

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Marty,
Looking good! You did alot more work on the side closest to the jointer. That's a bunch of work with a #5!!! When we left that side was still virgin. I know...it's a Zen thing...you get started and just can't stop:lol: . Sure beats walking on a treadmill!

My wife is still talking about how nice your shop was. I think she is beginng to understand where I'm heading with mine!

Good luck with the base!

Mark

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice Marty, I'll give that a multiple gloat :icon_thum

Meeting and sharing with another NCWWer
Learning the art and joy of handplanes
Making great progress on workbench
Nice pile of wood waiting for a project
Full arsenal of clamps with rack
Router table (normesque?)