Pipe Clamp 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am saving my pennies to outfit my shop with the Bessey parallel jaw clamps as I can afford them. For now, I am working with some Irwin pipe clamps that work OK, but has shown me that I need some help with manipulating these things. Sometimes they seem like I'm wrestling an octopus while trying to get them onto a panel or frame and keep the project square.

Since the NCWW brain trust has infinitely more experience than I have, can you give me some basic pointers on using these clamps in a competent manner and not feel like such an idiot?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
First, you are not an idiot. Piple clamps can be a PITA. I still use them quite a bit on some things as I believe I can exert more pressure than I can with K body clamps.

As for tips, I have just a couple. Use a long sacrificial board on the jaws to protect your panels/glue ups. On glue ups, start with all the clamps on the bottom, dont get them too tight, but snug enough that the boards don't move. Use a mallet to ensure all the boards adjacent to the jaws are down flat. Then come back and put clamps on top in between all the ones on the bottom. Then tighten them all up snug from one end to the other. Use a framing square or other straight edge to make sure your panel is flat. If it is cupping up in an area either the bottom ones are too tight or the upper ones are too loose. As for joint alignment, it is part of working your way down the glue up. Use F clamps, wood jaw clamps, hammers, boards, whatever to get the things aligned.

This is just my .02 worth and your mileage may (WILL) vary.

T

toolferone

If you are using black pipe then you should put some masking tape on the pipe where it touches the wood as it can stain the wood near the glue lines. Always do a dry set up so you can have the bottom clamps almost ready in position.

cskipper

Cathy
Pipe clamps can be a pain. A while back someone tested the bow clamps. Did "we" decide that "we" liked the bow clamps? Might be a good investment.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Rick,

When I run out of clamps and have to resort to my Irwins, I set them up on this little cradle that I cobbled together awhile back.

DSC00427.JPG

I just took a couple 4 foot pieces of 2x4, drilled 1 1/2" holes evenly spaced through the length and then ripped the 2x in half.

Now, I just lay down the cradle and place the clamps in the half round holes and I don't have to wrestle too much with the lower clamps, at least. Also. If you are using black pipe, be sure to use masking tape or waxed paper between the pipe and the wood or else you will have some nasty staining.

(Don't pay any attention to the nasty looking cedar that I have clamped in the photo. Just wanted to set up something for the pic!)

Simple and works for me!

Wayne

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have several lengths of 2', 3' and 4' pipe (threaded on both ends) that I use with mine. I keep a few threaded unions around so I can use the length of pipe(s) that closely matches my need. I have found it a lot easier when I don't have an extra 2' of pipe sticking out when I'm trying to move around the glue up and adjust the clamps. It also allows me to expand for those 6' bookcases, etc.
A clamp cradle like Canuck posted is also great for extending your clamping ability if your assembly "table" is small or just a couple sawhorses. The half holes allow you to clamp the cradle to a saw horse without interfering with how the piece lays on them.
Align the top and bottom of the clamp before you start gluing. Use black iron pipe so the bottom clamp will bite into the pipe and not slip on the soft zinc of galvanized, and either use tape or rub the pipe with parrafin wax to keep iron stains off the work.
All the other advice is good, too. Wood, cut up margarine bowl lid, leather, etc all work to keep the clamp jaws from marring the work.
After you hit the Lotto and buy all those Besseys, don't toss the pipe clamps. You'll need 'em. Can never have too many clamps.
Go

rick7938

New User
Rick
Thanks for all of the great tips, Guys. I can't wait to try some of the ideas. I don't feel like such an idiot after all.

J

jeff...

Rick - black pipe pony clamps is all I have as far as bar clamps. I love em but there are a few things to make life easier on you. take a piece of flat scrap wood that's shorter than you glue up is wide use, lay down a piece of waxpaper, the scrape piece and the bar clamp take two deep throat c-clamps and another piece of scape to hold your piece flat.

Tighten the bar clamp and clamps enough to line everything up you may need to whack here and there with a mallet to get everything perfect, then you can remove the c-clamps. Try and get an equal number of bar clamps as evenly spaced as possible on both the top and bottom to hold your piece flat.

I love my pony clamps heck you can even add a union join a couple lengths of pipe together to glue up long stuff. Plus they really snug stuff down tight, I can apply far more pressure with them than any other type of bar clams I've tried.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS