Picture frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I am trying to build some picture frames.

I am also finding that getting the corners right is almost impossible.

What is the secret to making a good frame?
I am going to have to make too many of these over the next year to simply buy a frame...might as well learn now.

I know that there has to be a secret to this that makes it a lot easier.
What is that secret?

Thanks

scrollski

New User
Jim
I had the same problem. I now use only one side of my chop saw. I make sure the angle is at 45 degrees. I flip the stock over to cut the other 45.:)

eddie joe

New User
edd
to get the picture frame to come out good each of the sides have to be EXACTLY the same length. I mean the opposite sides. Its best to use a stop block on the saw to get them exactly the same length. cut the miter carefully and you should get good results.

Edd

lottathought

New User
Michael
I get the stop block.
That actually makes a lot of sense.

But I have never dreamed that it would be this tough to get a perfect straight cut on my Miter saw.
I put a new 80tooth blade on it so it should b a clean cut.
I am finding little valleys in it though.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
my first thought went to a shooting board, like daveO mentioned, because you can make the pieces just a hair long, and trim em to fit, with a perfect 45, too.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Stop blocks for exact lengths on opposing sides and complimentary miters. By complimentary I mean, I use a sled on the table saw and my jig is exactly 90° split in half. Now I don't know if the split is 44½° and 45½° or what but I do miter A on one side and miter B on the other and together they always equal 90°.

George

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
^
If your going to make a lot of frames, i would make a jig like gator suggests.

This ol guy that worked on the miter saws in the plant I use to work at, taught me to check the miter against itself. To do this, you can take your square and screw two jointed (flat edges) pieces at 90 degress to a piece of scrap plywood. Your square is to thin to use by itself. THen cut two pieces of your moulding from the same side. Put one piece against the board on one side and flip the other piece and put it against the other board and check your miter. Keep adjusting til you get it perfect.

lottathought

New User
Michael
Once again, you guys come through in a big way.
There are some great ideas here.
It is also not lost on me that most here are talking about ways to use the table saw, not the miter saw.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
All the advice so far is right on. The angles need to be 45 degrees and the opposite sides of the frame need to be the same length.
I built a frame cutting jig from Shopsmith magazine years ago which does this process exactly and very quickly. I can make a frame from stock in about 5 minutes without gaps or problems using this jig. I will try to find the issue tonight and take pictures of my jig to show.
I also bought an inexpensive picture frame clamp that works great. It is very simple and applies equal pressure to all four corners of a frame at the same time. I will also post this tomorrow. (This is what happens when you loaf on the computer at work.)
This system works great for me and I have become the picture frame manufacturer for my whole family and half my street.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I was haveing problems with picture frames also and I purchased the Prow saw and I have not had anymore problems. See web site:

http://www.logangraphic.com/products/framingtools/

(See Video Instructions for measuring)

I have an instruction manual and it shows how to calculate dimensions and I will attach when I find it. Terry

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Let me try this one more time.

1st cut

2nd cut

Stop

Clamp

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
If you get into a bind, let me know. I work for a picture frame co. and I could knock out your frames in a couple of minutes. PM me if you have any questions.
Eric

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I think I have the insert picture thing figured out.
Here is a picture of the cutting jig detail for the second cut.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=16476&ppuser=1861

and this should be a detail picture of the stop that makes each cut the equal length.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=16477&ppuser=1861

and finally, the clamping system that puts equal pressure on all four mitered joints at the same time.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showphoto.php?photo=16478&ppuser=1861

I have been using this system for nearly 10 years now and it's as good today as the day I made it.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I feel your pain...I've been trying to make a frame for a full-length mirror for the wife and I have used more wood filler on the corners than I would like to admit. It seems easy, but it's the most frustrating project I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS