Picked up a few logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Been a while since I posted any pictures. Here are some nice red oak logs that I picked up this morning.
logs_0021.JPG

View image in gallery
The first two logs on the left are from one red oak tree. The next two are from one tree, and # 5
is a butt log. the last one is a little sickeymore:gar-Bi

Logs range from 28"-40" That little sickeymore on the right side is about 30".
That ugly thing on top was growing on a white oak. I dug it out of a trash pile, I'm sure that it is no good, will likely go on the burn pile:gar-La;
All will be Q-sawn. Heading out in the morning, see youens when we get back..

Glennbear

Glenn
You are a master of the understatement. :gar-La; Thanks for sharing pics and enjoy your trip. :wsmile:

Ivey

New User
Ivey
We got back from our vacation at Old Fort, weather sure was nice.
I love the mountians, it's always nice no matter what time of year it is. On the way home the temp. kept rising, wish we could have stayed longer but work was waiting.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Started Q-sawing the sycamore and R-oak yesterday sure makes purty wood. Pictures later.

Mike, Not sure how to saw up that burl. Have sawn only one other one ,and not sure that I did it right. How a burl or anything else for that matter is sawn depends on how it is going to be used. Not sure, would like to get the most out of it. Open to advice..

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If it was mine I would turn bowls out of it.

But, to get the most maybe cut it into pen blanks.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
For some of the new folks that maybe have never seen Q-sawn sycamore.
And Q-sawn R/oak.
Not a very good picture of the R/oak was getting dark.

Lots of people have sent me PM's about buying some of the sycamore, and R/oak. Thanks for asking, but the lumber from these logs were sold before the logs were sawn. Thanks again.

Still not sure about the best way to saw the burl, guess I will figer something out:gar-Bi

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Ivey you hit that grain on the sycamore right :thumbs_up. I've sawn a few Sycamores before and it aint as easy as folks would think. I think that's why not a lot of sawyers fool with sycamore much. I ain't never met a sycamore with round grain. The grain is more oval than it is round, which compounds the problem of hitting the grain close to 90 degrees with the blade to show the ray fleck. That and there is a lot of taper in a sycamore butt, so toeing up the small end to split the pith is really necessary, else you'll wind up with flatsawn and quartersawn grain in the same board. But If you can split the pith and the oval shaped grain just right, almost every board that falls of the mill will be beautiful. Just wait till to you bust into a curly sycamore, If your like me you'll think there is nothing more that could be had out of lumber. I was lucky enough to find one curly sycamore, I think they are pretty rare.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Thanks Jeff, There was a good bit of butt swell in this log. It shows in the slab pile. I see alot of bowls laying there:eusa_thin
I agree that centering the pith on any log that you are Q-sawing is most important in getting true Q-sawn lumber. Before you split the pith of the log to make the quarters you need to make sure that the log is level with the bed of the mill on all four sides, and thats why there is so much waste. It's alot of work Q-sawing a log. I can flat saw three logs of the same size by the time I Q-saw one:gar-Bi. Sure makes purty boards though.:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors