Picked up a DEWALT DW735 @ The Extravaganza today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
Thanks to the guys at Klingspor for helping me out today. I've been trying to justify the 735 and the Klingspor deal included the Stand, extra blades and tables for the same price. (Free Stand) so I counted up my allowance, bit the bullet and did it. Buy once, cry once I suppose. I'm broke but I am loving this thing.

Got it home, assembled the stand and made some Man Glitter. Honestly, I think this was the right choice. I could have gone cheaper but I couldn't believe the surface of a scrap 2x4. I didn't get a pic but the German Shepherd was standing out in the yard in front of the discharge and he looked like it had snowed on him.

Thanks for reading, just excited to finally have a thickness planer.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There were lots of great deals at the Extravaganza - glad you were able to score one of them.

It was a great event and if anybody didn't make it this year, you should plan to attend next October - a once a year event worth attending even if you have to travel a bit to get there. I drove 2-1/2 hours just to help man our booth there and make some personal purchases that I've been putting off until this great sale event.

old-delta

New User
Wes
The 735 is a good machine for a tabletop. I've had mine for two years now. Upgraded from a Parks 35.
The nice thing about the 735 is if the knives stay sharp it reduces quite a bit of sanding. Knives are very easy to change also. Congrats!

ehpoole

Ethan
A lot of us are very proud owners of the DW735 planer and it really is a joy to use. It is not exactly an inexpensive benchtop thickness planer versus some of the alternatives but its added features and ease of use really help to offset the initial sticker shock. However, if you really want to maximize its capabilities then consider adding on a Wixey digital readout (DRO) as then you can perfectly reproduce boards of any desired thickness on the first try, which is very handy if you messed up a board and need to create an identical replacement or know that you need to shave precisely 0.045" (~3/64") off a board's thickness in order for everything to fit correctly.

That said, large stationary planers still very much have their place in the shops of those who process a lot of boards in the rough and/or have a lot of volume, and the necessary floor space to accommodate them. Nor are other lunchbox planers necessarily inferior relative to the job they ultimately do, but the DW735 is just more convenient and has greatly reduced snipe versus many of the other options and has very good waste collection with very little waste escaping when paired with a dust collector. But in the end they all make thicker boards into thinner boards with perfectly parallel sides and create a lot of wood shavings in a hurry.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Good score Jerry. I love mine. Also have a Wixey Digital Readout on mine

Last edited:

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
+1 on the Digital Read Out. I added one to my 735 and it is one of the best upgrades I've found. You can truly duplicate a custom thickness using it, and I've made plenty of those with the mistakes I make.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
The digital read out is on the short list. I also want one for the table saw blade angle. I have a manual one now, I don't fully trust it for precision. I also know I need a hose on that discharge.

A lot of us are very proud owners of the DW735 planer and it really is a joy to use. It is not exactly an inexpensive benchtop thickness planer versus some of the alternatives but its added features and ease of use really help to offset the initial sticker shock. However, if you really want to maximize its capabilities then consider adding on a Wixey digital readout (DRO) as then you can perfectly reproduce boards of any desired thickness on the first try, which is very handy if you messed up a board and need to create an identical replacement or know that you need to shave precisely 0.045" (~3/64") off a board's thickness in order for everything to fit correctly.

That said, large stationary planers still very much have their place in the shops of those who process a lot of boards in the rough and/or have a lot of volume, and the necessary floor space to accommodate them. Nor are other lunchbox planers necessarily inferior relative to the job they ultimately do, but the DW735 is just more convenient and has greatly reduced snipe versus many of the other options and has very good waste collection with very little waste escaping when paired with a dust collector. But in the end they all make thicker boards into thinner boards with perfectly parallel sides and create a lot of wood shavings in a hurry.

+1 on the Digital Read Out. I added one to my 735 and it is one of the best upgrades I've found. You can truly duplicate a custom thickness using it, and I've made plenty of those with the mistakes I make.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I definitely like the Wixey DRO's better than I-Gauging. The I-Gauging ones don't auto-shutoff after a timeout and I forget and run the battery down. Then you have to re-calibrate. The Wixey is easier to re-calibrate as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS