Photos Gallery Down for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehpoole

Ethan
Just a quick FYI before all the questions begin: The Photos Gallery is down for now! :(

This morning's upgrade of the forum software has broken our PhotPost Pro Gallery software so I have had to take that feature down for the time being due to excessive errors. There are some bits and pieces of the Gallery that you will still find alive, but for the most part it is offline now (please don't explore those limits too much or we'll get lots more errors again). You can still insert existing photos from your Gallery into your posts like you always have, but if you wish to upload or insert photos into your posts you will need to use the "Attachments" feature instead. It's that paperclip icon on the top line of the "Advanced Editor" -- you can't see it from the Quick Reply editor so click "Go Advanced" button if you need it.

Hopefully in the next few days our license will be renewed with this vendor and we can then upload the latest version PhotoPost Pro... and hopefully that version will fix our existing incompatibility issues (fingers crossed).

We have also lost the ability to support attachments in Private Messaging.
Unfortunately, I do not know whether or not we'll be able to get that feature up and running again or not as this has never been a supported plugin and vBulletin continues to resist pleas by its customers to incorporate this feature into their base product. Time will tell!

ehpoole

Ethan
Classifieds is also down.

Why does that not surprise me?!?!

Classifieds is another one of those unsupported Plugins so time will tell whether or not it returns... but it certainly seems to have a rather major issue at the moment.

Every time we do a vBulletin update is strangely feel the urge to strangle them...repeatedly... they have never understood that minor version updates should *never* break functionality... minor versions are *only* supposed to be bug fixes, not wholesale and unannounced code changes.

PS - Thank you very much for letting me know. :)

cskipper

Cathy
i was looking for it a little while ago, and then saw your post asking for staff member assistance. You are so great in keeping the site functioning - thanks for all you do.

ehpoole

Ethan
As of this morning I believe Classifieds is working properly once again. Please let me know if anyone finds more errors in this section (or any other section of our site).

The initial issue came about because vBulletin has apparently just introduced a "Classifieds" section of their own (something called "Panjo"?) that clobbered portions of our original Classified code. Once I tracked that down and restored the affected files from backup there were tons of errors because of some (unknown) coding changes in the way vBulletin now handles variable passing to some of its functions... hence the screen full of errors everyone saw for most of yesterday. I've rewritten the affected portions of the Classifieds code to accommodate those changes. However, there could be more such changes needed if someone finds errors elsewhere in Classifieds... just let me know when/if you find them and how to reproduce them and we'll try to address those changes too.

I really appreciate everyone's understanding.

PS - I'm feeling a little better now that I've gotten some sleep!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
It seems that any tab on the navbar that used to have a drop down menu now takes you to the donate page. I tried firefox, internet explorer, and chrome.

ehpoole

Ethan
It seems that any tab on the navbar that used to have a drop down menu now takes you to the donate page. I tried firefox, internet explorer, and chrome.

Tracy,

Thanks for making me aware of this issue as I'd been so busy elsewhere I had yet to notice.

I'm not sure how to get them working again. This morning I installed the most current version of vBNavTabs (updated to 1.3.1) which was supposed to correct all 4.2.2 issues, but no such luck I'm afraid. Not sure where to go from there as there are no errors being triggered, it just is not inserting the extra code necessary to generate the pull down menus.

You can call me "Stumped for now". :)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Comments/Questions-

NCWW has really suffered over the past few years whenever new vBulletin versions have been installed . It just seems like it is becoming a lot of work for volunteers- my hat is off to you! I don't know anything about programming or vBulletin, but have a few questions/comments-

1. Are these problems caused because NCWW uses an extremely customized (with NCWW or third party software?) version of vBulletin- photo hosting, classifieds, etc., etc. and these mods are not often not compatible with, supported by, or in sync with vBulletin?

2. Is there any reason we need to "upgrade" each time vBulletin issues a new version? Couldn't we skip one or more versions to lessen the frequency of problems? Kinda like going from Windows 98 to Win XP, bypassing Win 2000 and Win ME or going from Win XP to Win 7, bypassing Vista?

3. Would it be helpful to have a mirror site on the server so that upgrades can be beta checked before being installed in the main site and going live on the web?

ehpoole

Ethan
Comments/Questions-

NCWW has really suffered over the past few years whenever new vBulletin versions have been installed . It just seems like it is becoming a lot of work for volunteers- my hat is off to you! I don't know anything about programming or vBulletin, but have a few questions/comments-

1. Are these problems caused because NCWW uses an extremely customized (with NCWW or third party software?) version of vBulletin- photo hosting, classifieds, etc., etc. and these mods are not often not compatible with, supported by, or in sync with vBulletin?

2. Is there any reason we need to "upgrade" each time vBulletin issues a new version? Couldn't we skip one or more versions to lessen the frequency of problems? Kinda like going from Windows 98 to Win XP, bypassing Win 2000 and Win ME or going from Win XP to Win 7, bypassing Vista?

3. Would it be helpful to have a mirror site on the server so that upgrades can be beta checked before being installed in the main site and going live on the web?

All fair questions and I'd be happy to answer them one-by-one.

1) vBulletin itself is stock for our site (we don't make physical alterations to the vBulletin code base or upgrades would be a massive impediment to progress). However, many of the features everyone enjoys are either plugin code we've hacked together to extend vBulletin (which, being fairly simple are pretty stable) or third-party plugin applications (much of the major enhancements) which are a good deal more complex and because they interact with vB more so are much more vulnerable to changes in vB's code base.

The issue with third-party plugin compatibility is further aggravated by the fact that vBulletin, while very dependent upon a third-party developer community, has never actively supported third-party development with any sort of documentation as to which functionality a developer can count on to be stable versus which functions and procedures are considered "internal" to vBulletin and, thus, subject to change without notice. This means that vBulletin's developers tend to consider *all* code "internal" and subject to unannounced changes. Add onto this the fact that PHP, which is what vBulletin and many other major web applications is written in, is undergoing its own period of upheaval with long-standing functionality being actively deprecated and removed from one version to the next... and developers like vBulletin trying to stay ahead of the deprecation curve and you have two driving issues adding to this confusion.

But it also does not help that vBulletin seems to refuse to adhere by the usual rules of major and minor release versions, namely that minor release versions, by convention, *should* only be bug, security, or browser-compatibility fixes, not wholesale code changes (i.e. "minor" is supposed to equate to "minor" fixes). If they would follow this convention then it would be much more practical for site admins to anticipate possible fallout in advance and act accordingly.

Additionally on the third-party plugin front, some of the plugins we've become somewhat dependent upon are no longer supported by their authors and have no direct or suitable replacements at this time. As a result this code falls to us to resolve whenever problems crop up (Classifieds is a big headache in this regard as it is also poorly coded... and there haven't been many alternatives for Classifieds for vBulletin 4.x, much less vB 5.x...). Any developer will tell you that trying to maintain and debug someone else's work is a major pain in the butt. Even more so in the case of Classifieds where much of its code is thousands of lines of nested conditionals rather than "functional" in design (by which I mean lots of endless "IF..ELSE..THEN" statements versus the use of manageable code blocks we call functions). As a result, to fix an issue in repeatedly reused code blocks can mean applying the same fix 20-40 times versus fixing a singular function had it been written in a traditional functional style.

2) We have actually skipped a couple of minor releases for that very reason. We don't generally update until one of two conditions comes to be: 1) there is a security bulletin and upgrading is the necessary choice to resolve the security risk and 2) we have fallen a couple of minor versions behind and don't want to fall so far behind that catching up is anywhere near as painful as what Steve and myself (by which I mean Steve much more than myself) experienced in January 2011 where the site was down for nearly 2 weeks while we tried to catch up after something like 12-18 months with no significant upgrades to the site... and several security compromises as a result (which was why Steve came back on board to help catch up). This most recent update was the result of both 1 and 2 concurrently, though I did wait several weeks after the release of 4.2.2 in the hopes that most of the fallout would be contained since developers will have had a few weeks to sort things out by now.

You can fall behind a little bit and their will be some modest pain to deal with... some features down for a few days (maybe more) but an otherwise largely functional site. Or you can fall way behind and accept the security risks and deal with an upgrade so painful that the site literally has to be taken down for weeks to catch up afterwards. It's really a balancing act.

3) We do occasionally create mirrors of the site for beta testing, but it is a very inconvenient and time consuming thing to do (it literally takes days do duplicate the site and make all the necessary tweaks). It is almost impossible to keep such a site properly synchronized with this site since this site undergoes regular tweaks, changes and minor updates on a practically weekly basis (most of which nobody will ever notice).

Due to how difficult it is to maintain such a mirror we really only resort to this if we have good reason to expect catastrophe (e.g. if we were about to upgrade to vBulletin 5.x!). This upgrade was more painful than one would have expected for a jump from 4.2.0p4 to 4.2.2... Creating the mirror and doing everything twice can be exhausting for the admins because it turns hours of work into many days, but even when done there is still the downtime and period of time where the main site gets impacted just because the updates themselves can only be performed at human speed... and sometimes we just have to get some sleep!

There are always better ways to do things, but at the end of the day we are all volunteers sharing out interest in woodworking with one another. Unlike tablesaws, a few moments of glitches, or even mistakes, won't cost anyone an appendage so we do accept some risks in exchange for greatly minimizing our day-to-day workloads.

I hope this answers some of your questions and helps everyone better understand what we've been up to. :)

PS - All said, there is the chance that I may yet have to roll us back one minor version if that's the only way to resolve a couple of issues. But ultimately it is best for us to try and move ahead and put this little bit of pain behind us so that we don't have to revisit the exact same issues in the next update (thus leaving even more work until next time). It's always preferable to handle things in manageable bites over time rather than putting off too much of the work only to be done all at once.

ehpoole

Ethan
Thanks for the thorough answer! I hope the data (posts/threads, images, etc.) is never in jeopardy during an upgrade or other software manipulation.

Well, the secret truth of being an admin is that nothing is ever safe from an admin -- that is the double-edge sword that comes with having unlimited access to hardware and software.

However, there are regular backups of the databases and Gallery photos... and everything else is the actual software that can be re-uploaded if it really came to that (but that too has backups). Worst case scenario would be that we lose one day to a week worth of one or the other, but that's a very rare event as you might imagine.

Most of the mistakes that an admin can make are more a matter of (sometimes great) personal inconvenience/annoyance, not the irrecoverable sort as we aren't normally performing actions that would act directly on the most precious and irreplaceable portions of this site (that is, the actual user-contributed portion -- which, like I said, is also backed up regularly).

ehpoole

Ethan
Returning to the original title of this thread, the PhotoPost Gallery is now up and running again (at least so far as I can easily test at the moment). I had to completely uninstall and then reinstall and rebuild this area to get the update to integrate properly.

However, because of ongoing issues with the Main Menu bar (namely the contextual second level menu options and tabs with missing pull-down menus) members are mostly limited to exploring/browsing the Gallery at the moment. The upload links are not presently available. At least it is progress!

At the moment there is only one major outstanding issue that I am aware of and that is the present issue with the plugin that manages the Main Menu bar.

For admins who wish to follow my progress, I have been leaving periodic updates in the "Administrator's Notes" section on the AdminCP front page.

PS - In the meantime if you wish to upload files to your gallery you may use this link: Upload Photos

To view your albums: View Albums

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Nathan, when you get back to it, here's the response I got:
Sorry, you don't have permission to upload photos.

When I clicked this link:
PS - In the meantime if you wish to upload files to your gallery you may use this link: Upload Photos

And this:
Sorry, Personal Albums are not enabled.

When I clicked this link:

To view your albums: View Albums

Sorry if I'm adding to your helmet noise...

ehpoole

Ethan
Joe,

Thanks for the report, everything was working fine as 'admin' but was indeed failing as a user.

It appears the Gallery software has changed the way it handles user permissions for members who belong to multiple usergroups (as all NCWW members do).

Please give it a try now, I believe it should now be working for you (and hopefully everyone else as well).

Now time to head back to sleep.

PS - As for the 'noise', I'd rather know about an actual problem than not. I can't fix a problem that I don't know about!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
OK...those links work from here now. I edited a pic and uploaded a pic and then viewed my galleries to display them.

ehpoole

Ethan
All of the usual submenu actions are now properly displayed on the main menu bar while in the Gallery area (i.e. they are no longer invisible).

This should return the Gallery to full functionality once more.

However, we still have issues with the main menu bar not displaying pull-down menus on the tabs that would ordinarily display such.

ehpoole

Ethan
The main menu bar should now be working once more.

This leaves as the only remaining issue our loss of attachments in private messages which may or may not return as a feature. It's nice to have but not essential -- and it has no author support of any kind.

There are some minor warnings that some members may see when submitting replies or creating new threads -- messages that tend to flash on screen for a second or two and then disappear. However, these are only warnings targeted towards developers warning them of features that will be deprecated (removed) in the future. I suspect these warnings (which are not errors) will probably be resolved in a future release of vBulletin -- or I may temporarily turn of warnings just to make it seem like they have disappeared. The important thing to know is that they are not actual site errors should anyone notice them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS