Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Most Popular
Freud Avanti TK Series Saw Blades

E-Direct Special Price -60% Off List

About Freud's Avanti Blades

Freud’s Thin Kerf (TK) Series of blades provide precise, quality cuts for most every application. The advanced thin kerf design removes less material -- thereby reducing the strain on your equipment and increasing the life of your saw. The slim design requires less cutting power from both you and the saw, making it ideal for underpowered saws. A Silver I.C.E. coating on all Freud TK blades helps reduce friction, heat build-up and gumming, thus extending the life of the blade by as much as 50 percent.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/edirect_120809.htm

mockymock

New User
Mark
Since I just got my used Ridgid TS3650, do you guys think the Avanti blade is a good choice? From what I've read, the Diablo is good but has less carbon on the tips and is meant as a throw away, where the Avanti is meant for one or two sharpenings. While the Freud LU Industrial is meant for a lifetime. The blade I currently have isn't in good shape so I need new blades.

I was thinking the Freud TK806 Avanti 10" 8 tooth for cross cutting, the 40 tooth for finished ripping, and the 24 tooth for rough ripping. The prices seem good, but I'm new at this so I'm just going by what I can figure out from searching google!

Mark.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Mark, I co not know anything about them - I just wanted to pass on the savings - I am sure someone here will chime in and let us know about these

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
My two cents is you need three blades. One to rip, one to cross cut and one to cut plywood. Blades made for a single purpose (like cross cutting) do a better job then general purpose blades do for that purpose. Buy a quality blade. You will not be sorry.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Saw blades are like routers. Before you know it, you have seven or eight :)

Generally speaking, you want four blades. A 24T rip blade, a 40T general purpose blade, a 60T crosscut blade, and an 80T plywood blade. If you don't mind swapping out blades often, then the 40T general purpose blade is less important. If you belong to the other 99% of people, you'll use the 40T blade most often and only switch to the rip blade when processing 300bf of 8/4 hard maple :) Also, a 60T blade (and even a 40T) will handle plywood just fine, you just get a little more splintering. The Freud Avantis are quality blades. I suspect they're on sale because Freud is getting rid of the Avanti line. It will still be available, just no longer be produced by Freud. At least, that's what I read. I don't think there is a huge difference between Avanti and Diablo, but the Diablos aren't on sale :)

My favorite blade is the Freud LU88R010. Even though it has 60T, it rips remarkably well, and leaves a super smooth edge. That means I don't need a separate 60T and 40T blade, this blade does both. For the heavy ripping, I trot out the LU87R010. But you want to wait until they go on sale before buying them, they're not cheap.

There is nothing wrong with buying slightly cheaper blades and upgrade later (or never). It's nice to have a backup when you send the blade out for sharpening, and when you have "suspect" lumber (i.e. might contain metal), you don't want to put an $80 blade on the saw. I say go for it.

mockymock

New User
Mark
Why an 80T for plywood? I thought the higher teeth number were meant for cross cutting, and the lower for ripping. I didn't think the type of wood made much of a difference.

Mark.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Why an 80T for plywood? I thought the higher teeth number were meant for cross cutting, and the lower for ripping. I didn't think the type of wood made much of a difference.

Mark.
Plywood is made of wood, but it's not like solid wood. Since each layer is at 90 degrees to the previous one, you're essentially crosscutting half the wood and ripping the other half. But, it's not your typical ripping operation, since each layer is so thin. You don't really have to worry about large gullets between the teeth for all the waste. In addition, because each layer is so thin, it splinters very easily. A higher tooth count helps prevent that.

This article may help -> http://www.rockler.com/articles/display_article.cfm?story_id=72

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
I use the Avanti Combo blade in my Bosch 4100 and am pleased - and that is a good price on them, but of course I'm looking to upgrade in the future.

mockymock

New User
Mark
Plywood is made of wood, but it's not like solid wood. Since each layer is at 90 degrees to the previous one, you're essentially crosscutting half the wood and ripping the other half. But, it's not your typical ripping operation, since each layer is so thin. You don't really have to worry about large gullets between the teeth for all the waste. In addition, because each layer is so thin, it splinters very easily. A higher tooth count helps prevent that.

This article may help -> http://www.rockler.com/articles/display_article.cfm?story_id=72

Cool - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS