Passion Cannon to exhibit at IPMS EXPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
On February 21, 2009, the International Plastic Modelers Society will hold its EXPO at the Petaluma, CA, Community Center. Although centered around plastic models, the show will have exhibits from various other model-making areas. I've been invited to exhibit the "Passion Cannon" model, and I've put in some time to finish up the metal trim work (the part I've been putting off for a long time; I like the woodwork part better than the metal work!). This will be it's first real public showing, and my family members have been advising me to exhibit it at the next County Fair.

Here's the cannon, dressed up, with it's new limber:

Cannon_Limber-a-dscf1132.jpg

And here's some detail views:

The limber (white and red oak, Chinese red oak for the wheel-rims, some variety of maple for the hubs, poplar for the splinter-bar), the wheel under construction, showing the spoke-dowels and felloe spline-joint, and its axle-caps:

The Cannon wheels, all "ironed up", and sand-guards over the axle to "protect the boxes" (wheel bearings):

The old, crude bolt-down "cap-squares" are replaced by proper ones, with "cotter-rings" and "cotters" (the wheel are not completely finished in the last shot):

At this point, the only major detailing left is to make the coat-of-arms and muzzle florets, but that's for the future; it means learning a new skill, that of repousse.

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
WOW! VERY nice!
:qright5:
What is the actual size of the cannon, overall?
It looks to be about one foot in length if I have the correct perspective.
And, how long has it taken you to build?

I agree with your family! You should enter it at the county fair.
Jim

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Very nice :icon_thum

To save everyone else the trouble of looking it up . . . :icon_scra
re·pous·sé (rə-pōō-sā')
adj.
  1. Shaped or decorated with patterns in relief formed by hammering and pressing on the reverse side. Used especially of metal

PChristy

New User
Phillip
John, nice job on the cannon:icon_thum I agree with your family - please do enter it in the fair this year -

johnpipe108

New User
John Meshkoff
WOW! VERY nice!
:qright5:
What is the actual size of the cannon, overall?
It looks to be about one foot in length if I have the correct perspective.
And, how long has it taken you to build?

I agree with your family! You should enter it at the county fair.
Jim

It's 1:12 scale, the barrel is about 18 inches exclusive of the pomiglion ("button" at the breech), the wheels are 8 inch, and the carriage about 17 inches. The limber wheels are 3-1/2 inch, but should be 4 but for proportion errors in the carriage; it's not possible to achieve first-rate accuracy the first time, working without plans (none have ever been published, AFAIK) from the TV screen, off the movie DVD. It does create the overall correct impression, however!

Oh, yes; except for the trim, everything (including the barrel) is wood; the barrel, like the movie prop, has a steel-tube liner, so it duplicates the movie prop's muzzle-heavy characteristic.

Here's the complete constrution galley:

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1280

I've been working on this since last July, off and on, with the cannonball-wagon in between:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS