Partner Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi All,

I know that I posted a while back that I was totally weaned from my addiction to Shaker style furniture..and anything else that looked like a box, and my new love was in trying to make Maloof-like rockers..but last Summer, a very persistent old customer finally dragged me back into the square world.

I guess it was the challenge. He wanted a partner desk (you know, two desks back to back with some kind of pass-through in the center on top). That's OK, but this thing had to navigate a narrow winding staircase to the third floor of an historic register home in Annapolis. That meant the legs had to come off. I told him there was no way I would build something with screw-on legs. More-over these 66”X25”desks were to have pedestal drawer cabinets on either end and a pencil drawer in the center. Normally those pedestals would each have four legs like the one from Moser's catalog below. He wanted no legs on the insides of the pedestals. This whole structure had to be supported by the two legs at either end. In other words, he wanted me to design a bridge!

Gallitano_Desk_3-10-08.jpg

This thing kept me pretty busy last Fall. It got to Annapolis by Christmas as requested.

I'm going to start this thread with the design concept and give you a step by step chronicle of this never -ending project..unless it just gets too darn boring and you tell me to go away.

The solution to the “no screw on legs” issue was to have legs which could slide up into the cabinets and be fastened inside some way that could be easily removed and re-assembled and still be structurally strong..and since this antique house had uneven floors in the third level, the legs had be to adjustable in length to avoid shims on the bottoms.

This is the customer's sketch of how the desks might look:

Dave_s_sketch.jpg

After a bit of thought, this was my first design idea

First_design_thought.jpg

...and this was followed by

Second_design_thought.jpg

The”bridge design” was going to have to be rigid, and the strongest solid wood joint around is the dovetail, so we have three dovetailed boxes glued and screwed together and fastened someway to the top and with legs attached inside the drawer cabinets. If I kept all the grain running the same way, wood movement was a non-issue, so I started thinking about interior construction.:icon_scra

Here's a shot of all the components needed for one of the drawer pedestals. I think I counted 512 individual pin and tail cuts in each desk...not counting the half-blind doves in the drawers. I think I need professional help.:gar-La;

CIMG29481.JPG

Moving right along, here's one of the drawer cabinets assembled..using West System boat-builders epoxy with wanut dust mixed in. These folks have a great tech support group and web-site if you don't already know.

CIMG2952.JPG

The parts in the previous shot glue into the dadoes on the sides to make the support structure for the legs and take the stiles and rails for the drawer divider. Note the slots for the 3/8" bolts..they will screw into the leg tops using the countersunk threaded inserts. It looks kinda klugey but it's makes for a very strong attachment and provides the needed height adjustment in leg length. The legs are 1 3/4" at the top tapering to 1 1/4" at the bottom with the taper started just at the pedestal bottom. You can clearly see the square cut-outs in the bottom to take the legs.

Here's a shot with the parts assembled in the cabinet

CIMG29641.JPG

So skipping a few weeks, here's all the parts ready to go for one desk without the top and drawers

CIMG3057.JPG

and here's the whole lot , glued and screwed together

CIMG3056.JPG

I'm going to discuss the top a lot more, but this shows the first desk assembled...

CIMG3090.JPG

and here's the top with inlay.

CIMG3128.JPG

So enough for now. There's a lot more to this project so I hope you'll hang in there to the end.:elvis:

I think you'll like the result:gar-Bi

Don

"it's never impossible, unless you give up"

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Good looking! Like to see the final result. Curious as to how you get your commissions, especially so far away.
Robb
Heritage Woodwright LLC

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing this build with all us less talented folks :gar-La; Years ago I made a tack box for my daughter to take to college that was going to be making trips up and down the stairs in the horse barn so I used West epoxy for assembly because of it's strength and water resistance. I was highly pleased with it's performance and as you pointed out their tech support is great.:wsmile:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Don,

The desk is looking great. I even pulled Christy aside and showed her the picture of all of the components. :swoon: That is a great challenge that you took on and and it sounds like you're going to end up with the perfect result. Absolutely amazing work so far. Thanks so much for sharing. :icon_thum

Trent

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Don, great step by step and the desk is looking great also - looking forward to seeing the end result:icon_thum

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Don-

Thanks for posting this and I hope you keep updating it to show the project through to its completion. I find it very interesting to see the design and construction progress. Just out of curiousity, why would you use epoxy instead of yellow/white (e.g. Titebond) glue on your desk?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don I am so glad to see this finally posted. And to see that your thread creation/picture posting is finally up to par with your woodworking.
Beautiful and ingenious :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I really despite those web sites that play music all of a sudden, but in this case, the theme from "Mission Impossible" would have been very appropriate. Then again, I feel that way about most projects, like the harpsichord (hmmm, I wonder what the theme from "Mission Impossible" would sound like on such an instrument...but I digress).

I remember seeing an old piece of furniture where the leg was attached via a sliding dovetail. That makes it possible to adjust the height. At the top there was a small wooden block that was wedged between the leg and the table top. It was obvious the desk had been moved from its original location, since one of the wooden blocks had been replaced with a slightly smaller one.

All I'm saying is...you could have used more than 512 dovetails! :rolf:

Awesome work Don, keep the installments coming.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Amazing project, Don! Thanks for sharing all the details to this point. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Touchwood

New User
Don
I really despite those web sites that play music all of a sudden, but in this case, the theme from "Mission Impossible" would have been very appropriate. Then again, I feel that way about most projects, like the harpsichord (hmmm, I wonder what the theme from "Mission Impossible" would sound like on such an instrument...but I digress).

I remember seeing an old piece of furniture where the leg was attached via a sliding dovetail. That makes it possible to adjust the height. At the top there was a small wooden block that was wedged between the leg and the table top. It was obvious the desk had been moved from its original location, since one of the wooden blocks had been replaced with a slightly smaller one.

All I'm saying is...you could have used more than 512 dovetails! :rolf:

Awesome work Don, keep the installments coming.

Thanks Bas,

Those were 512 individual pin and tail cuts..:eusa_thin..the actual dovetail joint count is half of that

Don

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Bas,

Those were 512 individual pin and tail cuts..:eusa_thin..the actual dovetail joint count is half of that

Don
Oh, well, that certainly changes things. Only 256 joints? And you're not done yet? Slacker. Maybe you should switch to using glue and brads.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

"only" 256 dovetail joints....mutter mutter....

Touchwood

New User
Don
Good looking! Like to see the final result. Curious as to how you get your commissions, especially so far away.
Robb
Heritage Woodwright LLC

Robb,

It's been pretty much word of mouth. This customer found me after buying one of my Shaker pieces at Cedar Creek Gallery in Creedmoor NC. I ended up building a bunch of bedroom furniture for him over several years.
I hadn't heard from him in three or four years..but he called again last summer.

It's strange how it works out..one of my rockers is in Tacoma WA, another in Flint MI..and I have a bunch of work in Ft. Myers FL. Right now I'm looking for a new commission..things are pretty slow in this downturn. The rockers I'm doing now will probably go to the kids...they're like the barefoot shoemakers offspring:tinysmile_cry_t:

I'm thinking of putting up a website but just don't seem to find the time...or maybe I'm just chicken about the complexity of the task:swoon:

Don

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice work and pretty stock selection! :icon_thum

The rigid center carcass tying into the outer boxes is a strong design concept. How did you fasten the center box to the outer boxes?

Chuck

Touchwood

New User
Don
Nice work and pretty stock selection! :icon_thum

The rigid center carcass tying into the outer boxes is a strong design concept. How did you fasten the center box to the outer boxes?

Chuck

Chuck,

I used 3 sets of 3, #10 screws positioned in small triangles along the inside of each pedestal cabinet pre-drilled into the center section sides. Once that was ready, I slathered Titebond III all over the mating surfaces and drove the screws home with a power driver.

I guarantee you that sucker's never going to budge!!:icon_thum

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS