Partner Desk--Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Back again,

I meant to point out in the last picture that I took care to keep the grain continuous in the center drawers and book-matched on the pedestal drawer fronts.

Dave was pretty fussy about the knobs. After several tries, he settled on having these hand-cast by Rocky Mountain Hardware in silver patina bronze (at about $40/knob!!)

CIMG3340.JPG

The pass-through was next. We decided on something of minimum size so's not to cover up the inlay too much. We also decided that the center "cubbies" be sized to take a standard business envelope, and the end trays to take 8 1/2 x 11 papers.
Here's a few shots to give the general idea as to how it went together. The cubbie sides are 1/4" thick and the tray parts are 3/8".

CIMG3344.JPG

CIMG3345.JPG

CIMG3347.JPG

CIMG3348.JPG

Here it is on top of desk #1. I put small threaded inserts in each bottom corner and small screw-in feet with plastic covers to protect the wood. It's quite heavy and the "stiction" in the feet keep it solidly in place. It's raised about 1/16" above the surface here.

IMG_1543.jpg

So that's about it. I was afraid the legs might look to "blocky" with the thicker dimensions than what I drew in the design, but I think they look pretty well proportioned. That's a heavy desk and they need to be tough.:thumbs_up

I built desk#2 a few steps behind #1 and it went much faster with no more figuring things out time.:eusa_thin

Cutting to the chase, the following are shots taken by the customer at the desks new home in Annapolis.

Copy_of_IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_15491.jpg

IMG_15632.jpg

Copy_of_IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_15521.jpg

...and a few days later..

IMG_15722.jpg

Now tell me again why he wanted that inlay :gar-La;

That's all folks. Thanks for looking.

Don

"it's never impossible, unless you give up" :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don, absolutely outstanding work. I am so glad that you were able to share it with us. You're an inspiration.

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Don, now I know what I want to be when I grow up :)

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don, absolutely outstanding work. I am so glad that you were able to share it with us. You're an inspiration.

Thanks again Dave,

Please tell me if you think I'm being too long-winded:embaresse.

I could have easily cut this story down or gone into more detail...I probably have all told about 100 pictures of the desks being built, and a bunch sent from the customer. He seems pretty happy with his commission.:icon_thum.

I guess if anyone wants to know more a particular step they'll send a PM.

Take care,

Don

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks again Dave,

Don

Let's see a discussion of a finely built furniture piece with innovative legs, and an extreme attention to detail. Yeah, I doubt we would like to hear more about it :roll::roll:
Seriously I don't think that you can be too long winded about your work. There is a lesson in every one of your posts.
Thanks for offering it up so we may all learn.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Don- Again handsome piece! Nice to see customers appreciating excellently crafted work. Thanks for answering question on your clients commissions. I have not displayed or consigned to galleries in years. Luckily (or maybe not) I've had plenty of work the past many years by word of mouth as you. But due to ecomonic situation, work is few and far between. Down to 4 man shop from 12 including those in field. Do more casework and millwork than furniture but looking at all aspects now.

To guage my shop, (you keep such meticulus records of build), did you also keep man hours not including finish. Or with for that matter? Be curious how we rate. We have done a few pieces lately. Get the feeling I'm going to be highly priced.

Thanks for the great documentation of build, picked up (learned) many things looking and reading your thread. 30+ years and still learning. Still looking and reviewing photos etc.

Thanks again
Robb
Heritage Woodwright LLC

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job on an outstanding piece of furniture Don:eusa_clap:icon_thum I believe that there is a potential calendar picture in there for next year:icon_thum

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Don, thank you for taking the time to walk us through such a wonderful project. Your work is amazing! And don't question the amount of detail or length of these posts. I think that the woodworking magazines could learn a thing or two from you. :icon_thum

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for taking us along for the ride Don! Sounds like another happy customer there. I know I would be ecstatic. Great Job!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Don,

Very nicely done in all respects. You solved some design challenges in a very clever and effective way. The craftsmanship is first class, and the end result certainly reflects the successful combination of design and execution.

I appreciate the organized and well photographed documentation of the project as well. Seeing projects like these inspires all of us to "kick it up a notch." :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Matt

T

toolferone

Don, I didn't know you did flat work :gar-Bi!

Those really are beautiful pieces. I cringed when you told us the price of the walnut for the top, ouch! Your attention to detail is amazing.
To echo the others, your documentation is appreciated and enjoyed.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Let's see a discussion of a finely built furniture piece with innovative legs, and an extreme attention to detail. Yeah, I doubt we would like to hear more about it :roll::roll:
Seriously I don't think that you can be too long winded about your work. There is a lesson in every one of your posts.
Thanks for offering it up so we may all learn.Dave:)

Dave,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help.:icon_thum

Between you, Joe Scharle and McRabbet I've finally got the hang of this picture posting stuff...solved at least a small part of my computer illiteracy:eusa_danc

But..you may have opened Pandora's box !!:gar-La;

Don

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Don, let me give you an example of long winded:
-----------------

Okay, here in picture 2,302, you can see I've applied the 2nd coat of shellac.

It's not dry yet.

It's not dry yet.

It's not dry yet.

Nope, still not dry.

It's not dry yet.

Here in picture 2,303, you can see the alcohol is slowly evaporating. Interesting stuff, alcohol. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:
In chemistry, an alcohol is any organic compound in which a hydroxyl group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom of an alkyl or substituted alkyl group. The general formula for a simple acyclic alcohol is CnH2n+1OH. In common terms, the word alcohol refers to ethanol, the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages.
Ethanol is a colorless, volatile liquid with a mild odor which can be obtained by the fermentation of sugars. (Industrially, it is more commonly obtained by ethylene hydration—the reaction of ethylene with water in the presence of phosphoric acid.[1]) Ethanol is the most widely used depressant in the world, and has been for thousands of years. This sense underlies the term alcoholism (addiction to alcohol).
Other alcohols are usually described with a clarifying adjective, as in isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) or wood alcohol (methyl alcohol, or methanol). The suffix -ol appears in the "official" IUPAC chemical name of all alcohols.
There are three major subsets of alcohols: primary (1°), secondary (2°) and tertiary (3°), based upon the number of carbon atoms the C-OH group's carbon (shown in red) is bonded to. Ethanol is a simple 'primary' alcohol. The simplest secondary alcohol is isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol), and a simple tertiary alcohol is tert-butyl alcohol (2-methylpropan-2-ol).

Let's check the piece again. Nope, still not dry.

While we're waiting, let me show you each individual pile of sawdust that came from the 4 legs. Picture 2,304 shows the front left leg. Picture 2,305 shows the front right leg. Picture 2,306 shows the backleft leg. Picture 2,307 shows the back right leg.

Want to know what each pile of sawdust weighs? Let's find out!!

-----------------
As long as you're slightly more brief than this, I think you're good.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Bas, you ain't right!:rolf:

Don, that is some beautiful work! Well done, and don't worry about being long winded when you are showing work like that! There are a lot of us that can learn a lot from your posts!:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Don, let me give you an example of long winded:
-----------------

Okay, here in picture 2,302, you can see I've applied the 2nd coat of shellac.

It's not dry yet.

It's not dry yet.

It's not dry yet.

Nope, still not dry.

It's not dry yet.

Here in picture 2,303, you can see the alcohol is slowly evaporating. Interesting stuff, alcohol. Here's what Wikipedia has to say:
In chemistry, an alcohol is any organic compound in which a hydroxyl group (-OH) is bound to a carbon atom of an alkyl or substituted alkyl group. The general formula for a simple acyclic alcohol is CnH2n+1OH. In common terms, the word alcohol refers to ethanol, the type of alcohol found in alcoholic beverages.
Ethanol is a colorless, volatile liquid with a mild odor which can be obtained by the fermentation of sugars. (Industrially, it is more commonly obtained by ethylene hydration—the reaction of ethylene with water in the presence of phosphoric acid.[1]) Ethanol is the most widely used depressant in the world, and has been for thousands of years. This sense underlies the term alcoholism (addiction to alcohol).
Other alcohols are usually described with a clarifying adjective, as in isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol) or wood alcohol (methyl alcohol, or methanol). The suffix -ol appears in the "official" IUPAC chemical name of all alcohols.
There are three major subsets of alcohols: primary (1°), secondary (2°) and tertiary (3°), based upon the number of carbon atoms the C-OH group's carbon (shown in red) is bonded to. Ethanol is a simple 'primary' alcohol. The simplest secondary alcohol is isopropyl alcohol (propan-2-ol), and a simple tertiary alcohol is tert-butyl alcohol (2-methylpropan-2-ol).

Let's check the piece again. Nope, still not dry.

While we're waiting, let me show you each individual pile of sawdust that came from the 4 legs. Picture 2,304 shows the front left leg. Picture 2,305 shows the front right leg. Picture 2,306 shows the backleft leg. Picture 2,307 shows the back right leg.

Want to know what each pile of sawdust weighs? Let's find out!!

-----------------
As long as you're slightly more brief than this, I think you're good.

Bas, you kill me. Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day :rotflm::rotflm:
You do make a valid point, though :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS