Parents robbed thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Since this post has been there all day, I didn't want to put it in moderation until I asked. Mike Davis's last post - the last in the thread seems to be way out of line. Like I said, it's been there all day so maybe I am over-reacting.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Cathy, I saw this earlier today and thought the same thing, however no one has replied to it so I decided to let it sit for a while. It was directed to a fellow moderator so I did not want to step on someone's toes. There have not been many visitors that I saw during the day to the thread. I kinda was waiting for Pete.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
No big deal. Pete deserves some grief.
Dave:)

Grief taken. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

I guess that is as close to the "Bill the Cat" smiley as we have...??? I have responded, though I may go back and edit out [strike]those bits[/strike] the lion's share of the post. I am sure Mike meant it in jest, but occasionally I get aggravated by people assuming that those of us who do not have guns at home are somehow less manly (or perhaps less in charge at home?) than others.

I grew up with guns at home - various shotguns, and rifles, and at age 9 was given my first, a Daisy Red Rider BB gun. I was the only one in my 4-H camp to earn the marksmanship badge. I have competed in Bi-athlons (combine rifle marksmanship with XC skiing), and never once been involved in a gun-related accident. LOML fears them. Tactically it would be irresponsible for me to use one at home.

ahhhhhh darnit!!!! i have continued my rant here. perhaps I should go moderate myself??? guess it's what I get for reading this at 2:00a.m., and later?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yeah, I think he is undergoing some serious stress at home - keeping the house and all. I've been there, and I hope I kept from showing it over the last year, here, and at work. I had a REAL stressful time 12 years ago, and the home-stress showed up at work, and every where else I went. Eventually led to a career-influencing mistake. Then found a good spiritual path, and LOML.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
IMO the thread seems to be going bad and should be closed. But I think Pete Will watch it and others will also and if it gets worse someone please close it.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I think the slide on that one has stopped. I posted something in there earlier that was a little more inflamatory which I will include here. Fortunately Cathy was also up very early this morning, when no one else was on here (I logged on around 1:00, and then got off at around 4:45 after a pleasant chat with Cathy), and she encouraged me to edit the post, as she was rightly concerned that it may go further. I won't be on for another 14 hours (durn long wurk days) so if someone here sees something in that thread that needs fixin', by all means do so. Having posted in it kinda precludes me from being the one to do it.

Last edited:

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Since this post has been there all day, I didn't want to put it in moderation until I asked. Mike Davis's last post - the last in the thread seems to be way out of line. Like I said, it's been there all day so maybe I am over-reacting.
Cathy, you do not need to ask, nor does anyone else. I would much rather that a post or a thread be put in moderation early than too late. We can always restore it.

With that said, I am not sure what the issue is. I read the post as sexist, but perhaps the real issue is Mike's attitude about guns, etc. I think I am missing something.

M

McRabbet

I closed it after reading all of the posts again -- I think it has run its course and I suggested we get back to our reason for being here, woodworking.

cskipper

Cathy
I had a couple of issues that had "yellow" flags - not really RED ones. The discussion had served its purpose and was starting to spiral out of control. Any gun discussion is potentially a problem, but the clincher was the "who wears the pants in your family - you or her" or something to that affect. The laughing smiley didn't soften the comment to me. It wasn't a clear cut - Stop this thread now! kind of thing.

I find myself cringing at many of Mike's responses lately. His tone is condescending at best. I believe that he is under a lot of stress, but so are others. What I worry most though, is that other people on the site, members or guests, do not know and/or care (that's not the right word for what I mean, but for the life of me I can't find it) about his stress. All they read is attitude.

I don't really have a problem calling a blatant post what it is. This thread had run its course, and was teetering on the edge of being southbound. Then I found Mike's comment derogatory. The laughing smiley didn't soften it, to me at least.

As a totally side note, is there any way to get back one simple smiling smiley - not a big toothy grin or laughing one - just a smile?

I'm rambling. If I haven't explained my problem with this thread well enough so you understand, let me know and I'll try to explain myself more effectively.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Cathy, I think you explained it very nicely and it is easy for me to understand why it would be offensive. :wsmile:

cskipper

Cathy
I think the slide on that one has stopped. I posted something in there earlier that was a little more inflamatory which I will include here. Fortunately Cathy was also up very early this morning, when no one else was on here (I logged on around 1:00, and then got off at around 4:45 after a pleasant chat with Cathy), and she encouraged me to edit the post, as she was rightly concerned that it may go further. I won't be on for another 14 hours (durn long wurk days) so if someone here sees something in that thread that needs fixin', by all means do so. Having posted in it kinda precludes me from being the one to do it.

I really enjoyed chatting with you the other morning. You helped me settle down a bit as well. Thanks for changing that post. It was much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS