Panel saw question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
I picked up a panel saw last week and am setting it up as we speak. I'd like to place it in a bit more of an upright postion than one usually sees with these, as that would give me a great spot for lumber storage instead of having largely dead space behind it. My concern with this is how to being sure that panels being cut will lay flat on the the saw. With the saw tipped back at the angle you usually see gravity does the work for you. With a more upright position the panel is a lot more likely to tip or shift as it's cut. I was thinking of placing a vertical track with a hold down clamp on either side of the saw track to take care of this. This would allow me to quickly and easily clamp the top edge of the piece, and I think this address the issue sufficiently so long as the board is not badly bowed.

However..

I couldn't even begin to count how many times I've started a conversation with "Well, it looked good on paper...". Given that I have little practical experience with this type of saw, there's a reasonably good chance of this happening again. Before I go to the trouble of mounting the saw and adding the track and clamps, does anybody have any thoughts on my plan? Any other concerns I may not have thought of, or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
vertical panel saws are on an angle because it's the simplest most ergonomic way to do it. prior to folks figuring that out a lot of vertical saws and clamps for that matter we made straight up rather than on a 15 - 20 degree incline.

my opinion is what you're planning will work particularly if you add the additional clamping your planning on.

but it wouldn't be an ideal situation for regular daily use. if it's only for the occasional cut you'd probably be fine but if you're cutting a few hours a day it'd be a pain imho.

one thing i though as i was typing this is the one's i've seen set up vertical almost all had a solid laminate covered back which i'm guessing provided some surface area "stickiness" to hold the board in place. i know there's a better technical term for that but it's late in the day and i don't feel like thinking hard enough to remember it. surface friction adhesion maybe? i don't know the term but i'm sure you've all experienced it trying to seperate two sheets of laminated panels.

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Surface tension is the term that came to mind, but AFAIK that refers to liquids... For our purposes we can call it static cling :) Thanks for the input- that's good to know. I'm definitely "hobbyist level", so while ergonomics is always a consideration it won't be a limiting factor here.

rwwood49

New User
Ronnie
My panel saw is mounted verticlly and I've never had a problem. Most of my cuts are on full sheets of plywoods , Ive not bothered with clamps. When cutting plastic laminate I've used clamps or a piece of board to hold the laminate straight. You will certainly enjoy the convenience of this equipment.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I, for one, REFUSE to answer the question about whether this will work until I see some pictures!!! :) :tool: :tool:
(the fact that I don't know anything about panel saws also has something to do with it... :rolf:)

Nice stealth gloat here!

Glennbear

Glenn
First let me say it has been a number of years since I last used a panel saw but it would seem to me that one could decrease the mounting angle, gain the storage space you desire, and still have gravity in your favor. It does not take much of a variation from 90 degrees for gravity to take over as we can all attest to from when we have tried to stand a sheet of plywood on edge. :gar-La; Methinks than even a small angle from vertical would eliminate the need for clamping. :wsmile:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Just a note, remember that gravity helps and HURTS once you get over half way thru the cut gravity will try to close that saw kerf, KEEP a small wedge like a cedar shake etc and once u r at that point put that wedge into the sawkerf. Pony makes special clamplike critters for this also. Also clamping the TOP of the sheet b4 cutting will keep it from closing up also. :gar-Bi:gar-Bi

lbtripp

New User
Lyell
Brian,

I have a panel saw that I use to knock down sheet goods. I mounted mine in a sea container that I store my materials (woods) in. I mounted it at a 5 degree angle. It only projects about 12" from the wall. I removed the back legs and built a angled bracket to bolt the saw to the wall. I have never had a problem with material tipping while cutting any type of sheet goods.

Hope this helps
Lyell:eusa_danc

BrianInChatham

New User
Brian
Thanks for all the good info!! I like the shipping container idea, so I suggested it to my wife. It's funny the chill you get when a room suddenly drops 10 degrees...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS