panel raiser reprofile finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
A while back I posted a thread about a panel raiser plane I was working on. I was rehabbing the plane and changing the profile to a straight bevel from a curved one. My current project is the first time I've had a chance to use it on a "real" panel. It worked very well on the cross grain and the "right way" grain but I had a little trouble on the reverse grain side of one panel. No matter how fine I set the iron it wanted to tear out on a thumb-sized area where the grain reversed around a branch eye. So I stopped planing short of a full profile and used a sanding block to finish that side of the bevel. I was doing two panels for two doors and the other went fine even against the grain. Lesson I learned from this was look more carefully at the stuff I choose for raised panels--or be prepared for trouble. First, I cut the panel to size so that it has room to move in the grooves. The only other preparation was using a wheel marking gauge to strike lines to mark the depth in the edges and the width of the bevel. I went back and knifed the outline of the center to form a clean edge for the bevel since the plane doesn't have a nicker. In the photos the panel has been prefinished.

panel1.jpgpaneldoor.jpgpanelraiser.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work Charlie!
That plane is a keeper...

Not sure what they did in the 1900's when they got tear-out - I'll bet someone knows.

Where is Roy when you need him?

hey, Maybe Scott Meek can make a suggestion???

Scott Meek

New User
Scott
Used perfect wood maybe? LOL
Honestly though, they probably used a scraper and sand paper (been around longer than we think) to clean it up.
Or, they just weren't as picky as we are?
That is about all I know, or think I know. :)

Edit to add: Nice plane and great looking panel!

Nice work Charlie!
That plane is a keeper...

Not sure what they did in the 1900's when they got tear-out - I'll bet someone knows.

Where is Roy when you need him?

hey, Maybe Scott Meek can make a suggestion???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS