Painting a deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've got a coworker who has put up a new deck and wants to paint it. It is made out of pressure treated lumber. His question is how long to let the PT lumber dry before painting. Any Ideas?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
At least six months, the longer the better. After 20 years of trying various coatings and finishes on my lake property's outdoor wood surfaces, I have come to believe in Cabot Problem Solver Oil Based primer, let dry a week but less than a month. Follow up with three (yes, three) coats of Cabot solid color deck stain, a day's drying time in between coats.

Although Lowes carries the Cabot brand, my local stores only carry GRAY primer. Cabot does make a WHITE base primer, look around. Plan on re-covering (one coat will do it) every 2-3 years.

Note well that the only reason I bothered to coat/color is because of my bride. Left to my own devices, I wouldn't bother. And it is a bother.

See this link for a different take:
http://extension.missouri.edu/webster/ag-edge/structures/acq-cca-paint.html

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dry time depends a lot on the weather conditions. I generally tell my clients around 1 month, and have never had any complaints. The best thing you can paint your PT deck with is a solid hide stain. It will last much longer than paint as it is more of a penetrating finish vs. a film finish like paint.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS