oval top trestle table legs/feet/cleats positions

wdw

New User
billw
I am building an elliptical top trestle table (hickory, 5/4, 8/4, glue up for thicker, 40 x 90), twin posts and stretchers. Seeking advice/tips for dimensions and positions for undercarriage. Considering wedged tenons or bolts for stretchers and feet, or combinations, maybe cleats too.

Advice or tips.

Here is a rough sketch of what I am planning. Positions and sizes of legs/feet/cleats are placed mostly by proportion. End overhang is 18", end of cleats to edge is ~4". Cleats thickness to change depending on how they attach to legs. Feet and cleats likely to remain the same length.

Attachments

• bradley table edit1.JPG
    bradley table edit1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 68

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I will chime in to give you a comparison (rather than advice). I did a similar sized table from 2 slabs of white oak 2 1/2” thick. I used 3 stretchers, 16” from ends and one in the middle. I’m not sure if the one in the middle was required but I wanted it to prevent any cupping or warping. I attached the stretchers with inserts in the top and four 5/16” bolts. Slotted the holes in the stretchers to allow for movement.
I looked at the stretcher as a means to support and attach the legs first, and to keep the top flat second.

wdw

New User
billw
That's quite a chunk of wood! I have built some Thomas Moser designed trestle tables that have a 2" wide stretcher the table rests on, some vineyard tables. I've adjusted this design a bit for stability, will see how I feel about it before cutting wood . . .

Attachments

• bradley table edit1.JPG
    bradley table edit1.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 65

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Not sure exactly how many people you hope to seat around the table, but knee room is important. That said, 18" overhang is more that sufficient for those sitting at the two ends. I have built two trestle tables, the last one was 96" long and 40'' wide (pictured below), I bolted the bottom stretcher to the two feet. The first table was a little shorter and the stretcher tenons went through mortises in the posts and seated with wedges. The table tops are 1" quarter-sawn white oak, however the edges on all four sides where cut (2") and folded under the top to give the appearance of 2" thick tabletop.
F3D63F78-CDD2-4405-8443-92002C8F128A.jpg

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors