Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Bill,
Dirk and I need to talk about timing (we haven't yet) so if there is a time that is better for you let me know.

I will talk to Dirk tomorrow and have something this weekend or by Monday at the latest.

Here is what I came up with so far - let Dirk and I know when you plan to come and how long you intend to stay.

Attachments

• KS GO.JPG
    KS GO.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Anytime from 10AM is fine. We don't do early! Several hours probably. Do they have stools, not chairs, to sit on or should we bring our own?

sawman101

New User
Bruce Swanson
I have a reservation at Hampton Inn Ken. Hopefully, well be able to get together for dinner Friday evening.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Anytime from 10AM is fine. We don't do early! Several hours probably. Do they have stools, not chairs, to sit on or should we bring our own?
Bill,
Please bring your own chairs. I am CERTAIN there will be some there, but better safe than sorry!

Also, what would you like to do?
Typically we need volunteers to monitor guests at the lathes, but I do not have a list of all the people who have been through training, so that MUST be a prerequisite. Regardless, we always need people to greet and talk about and pass out information on NCWW!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Susan (my wife) will be dropping me and the trailer off around 8-8:30 and picking both up around 4-5PM so all the tools will be there. The way it looks now we may not be using more than one lathe unless we get some more semi-qualified volunteers. I'm not too concerned about actual Outreach Trained volunteers as I am about people with rudimentary skills that can guide another. The Outreach Training is mostly focused on safety and I can work as the safety officer for the event. As norm always said and the most important safety rule is to always wear these, safety glasses.

Alan and Melissa will be there to represent us on the lathes and that should be fine. It seems we have several scrollers as volunteers so lets concentrate on that. We can set up both of the DeWalt Scroll Saws, the one in it's seated (wheelchair accessible) position.

If anyone has a wheelchair, please bring it.

We need to adjust our plans to the volunteers that we have available. Don't forget to remind me to bring business cards. I'm sure the plans will change the day of the event - they always do.

I'm not sure I have any Outreach Brochures - it would be good to have some. I'll check with Phil on that score.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Ken I will ck and see if i have anymore brochures. Folks we still need some donations in the lumber dept along with 1/2" pex pipe. We also would love to have a couple more turners from the western sector to guide the youngsters and show them the safety aspects of proper turning.Hope to see you there

ShawnS

New User
Shawn
weather supposed to be horrible here this week I can probably get several of those blanks cut if I can find away to get them there. Anyone coming from like the Johnson City tn area? If so I can drop them off there.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Shawn If you want to, you can mail/ship them to me in Cary. PM for my address if you decide to go that route. If you can fit them in a large flat rate box, the shipping might not be too much.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I note the Klingspor opening is timed in conjunction with the Arts & Crafts Conference. If an older distinguished looking gent with a "wierd" accent stops by to say hello, that is my uncle Dave VanEpps, he is from upstate New York and comes to Asheville for the conference and to visit friends. Say a hearty hello - his "specialty" is Limbert style EbonOak furniture.

If anyone is attending the conference, he will be hosting a small group discussion - "Charles Limbert Furniture" - on Sunday from 12:30 to 1:30

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I note the Klingspor opening is timed in conjunction with the Arts & Crafts Conference. If an older distinguished looking gent with a "wierd" accent stops by to say hello, that is my uncle Dave VanEpps, he is from upstate New York and comes to Asheville for the conference and to visit friends. Say a hearty hello - his "specialty" is Limbert style EbonOak furniture.

If anyone is attending the conference, he will be hosting a small group discussion - "Charles Limbert Furniture" - on Sunday from 12:30 to 1:30
Chris,

The Arts and Crafts Conference is this coming weekend (20th - 22nd) and perhaps you saw that it is the 28th year of the conference -- the Store Grand Opening is on Feb 28th. Nonetheless, I plan to drop into the conference this weekend and perhaps will see your uncle.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've been going through the supplies we have on the trailer and donated recently by golfdad. We now have plenty of blanks for the event on the 28th. We can always use more, but there is no longer any urgent need.

A lot of the blanks that I found were pre-drilled and cut to 6", which we found was causing safety problems with our 6" tool rests (running off the end of the rest is dangerous.) I'm cutting those back to 5-1/2" and that will make another 30 or so blanks we have ready. I also found some 2x2" stock that is around 8-9" long that can be cut into a saber blank and some scrap for another smaller project.

Bottom line. I will easily have between 50-75 blanks ready by the 28th.

I will also purchase the necessary flashlights. If I don't hear from somebody else attending that they have gotten PEX, I'll purchase and cut that as well. If I have to purchase the PEX, then it will all be white. Anybody care to bring some DNA to wipe off the lettering on the PEX?

Specs for PEX. 1/2" diameter. Don't get the rolls - you'll never straighten them out for this application. Buy whatever length you can handle - longer is cheaper, and cut to 20" lengths. The cheap razor cutter at Lowes works very well. Five feet / 20" = 3 pieces. Ten feet / 20" = 6 pieces. Twenty feet / 20" = 12 pieces. We need at least 50 pieces and 100 would be better.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Chris,

The Arts and Crafts Conference is this coming weekend (20th - 22nd) and perhaps you saw that it is the 28th year of the conference -- the Store Grand Opening is on Feb 28th. Nonetheless, I plan to drop into the conference this weekend and perhaps will see your uncle.

Opps - yeah I probably did see the "28th Annual" and got confused. At any rate, I was hoping to be able to attend with Uncle Dave, but alas, not to be. I "inherited" the "woodworker" gene from my grandfather, Dave's father, who was a master pattern maker.

Thanks for the hello Rob, and I hope you enjoy the show - I understand the Grove Park Inn is quite something!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I hit a small setback cutting the found blanks to 5-1/2 from 6". The first one had a rock or something in it and when the blade hit it the piece went flying across the shop (missed me luckily) and it bent a tooth of my blade. So smile.amazon.com is sending me a new 12" Freud blade on Saturday. Didn't get the thin kerf version this time, even though the full kerf was $40 more.

Took me 10 minutes to find the piece in the shop - it really went flying. Guess it's better I found it rather than somebody turning a light saber during a show.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hi Ken - I did cut a number of the 2x2x5.5" blanks. Do you want me to get them to you or hang onto them for now ?

Also what's the allowable tolerance on the 2" dimension ? I have some other material I'm happy to add as blanks but its slightly undersize at 1.75 to 1.875"

And I do have some pex, but it's in rolls - they would be light-scimitars :)

-Mark

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K. we are coming down to the wire... The Klingspore Grand Opening is Saturday February 28th. The Grand Opening will be from 9:00 to 5:00. I think we should be there at least an hour earlier to set-up. I confirmed with Coleman that he will have a tent (with heat) on Saturday for demonstrations.

I would like to see a few more of us show up and suppoert NCWW.

PLEASE CONFIRM you plan to be there! and let us know how you want to help.
Set-up and tear-down is lighter work with many hands (hint, hint!)

NOW, if you are not certain, but intend to come on Saturday to help and jsut spend an hour or a little more with us that is O.K.! - Let me and Dirk (Golfdad) know and we will look for you!

Following is the list of people that have told me or Dirk that they intend to be there and what they want to demonstrate.
(X) means I didn't see anything specific (please reply) and if you do not intend to do something specific, I hope you will jump in where you can AND be part of the "Fellowship" Committee (handing out NCWW cards and telling people what we are all about!

[T] by the name who were tentative

1. Hank
2. Dirk (Golfdad) (X)
3. Mike Davis (Sharpening)
4. Rob (McRabbet) (X) rep'ing Western NC Woodworkers Association and NCWW
5. Alan and Milissa (Chesspy) (Turning)
6. Ken (KenofCary) (X)
7. Bill (Aplpickr) & wife (Turning) (Ornaments?)
8. Adam (allisnut) & daughter (Pen Turning) (Adam I owe you a call!!!)
9. Bob Childs (weatherflute) (demo wipe-on finishes and making flutes,)
10. Bruce (sawman101) (Scrolling)
11. Charley (Charles Lent) (Carving / Scrolling)
12. Gary (Craftywud) [T] (Scrolling)

aplpickr

New User
Bill
We will be there. After no running water for seven days we are back in the saddle. Can't believe it was frozen that long, with below 0deg temps and it did not break! Bill and Nettie

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
We will be there. After no running water for seven days we are back in the saddle. Can't believe it was frozen that long, with below 0deg temps and it did not break! Bill and Nettie
Thanks Bill!
Looking forward to meeting Nettie too!
Wow! that is amazing that none of the pipes burst after being frozen for so long!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had another piece of the walnut explode on me so I threw it all out. It didn't look like it was drilled very well anyway. At least this time it didn't affect the blade.

Anyway. How's the weather look for the weekend? It seemed pretty iffy at one time but that was long term forecast. I don't want to be hauling the trailer in snow or freezing rain especially.

When I finish I'll have about 48 blanks and will get 10x10' pex to cut into 60 sabers. I'll have to make a run to HF and pick up flashlights Friday morning. If this is still a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS