Outfeed Table for PM2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

huckster

New User
Pete
Back when I was in school the shop had a an outfeed table that was on a henge at the end of the tablesaw. So, if you need the outfeed table you pulled it up and it had henge that snapped into place when it was fully extended.

The outfeed table itself consisted of a grid of rollers all about 3" apart. It only went out about 28" total. I couldn't be longer b/c it would hit the floor in the downward position.

So, I looked around on powermatic's site but see no such accessory. Does any know of an aftermarket accessory like this?

I see that a guy built a custom outfeed, but I'd be interested to know if there is something else out there?

~Pete

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Something like this?

117-914.jpg

Woodworkers Supply carries them, they are made by HTC Patented Htc Outfeed Rollers Ensure Safe, Accurate Sawing, Hor-1038u Outfeed Roller-37 Wide

Travis Porter has one, and IIRC has mentioned that he doesn't care for it.

HTH,
Dave:)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I've got the HTC one mentioned above on my tablesaw. It works well and is SOOOO MUCH SAFER than nothing back there to support your cut.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a dual roller from HTC where DaveO's picture shows a 3 roller.

It is OK, I would not say it is great. At times I think about making a wooden one with grooves for the miter gauge to provide more support. Have to be careful with it at times, boards will roll off of it unexpectedly.

I will say it wasn't cheap. IIRC, it was around $300 8 or 9 years ago.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Mine is melamine with grooves for the miterslot equipment. It is 39" long and 48" wide. It provides a transition from the saw table to the layout table, rising 1/4" in the 39". It is recessed about 1/16" below the saw table and extends about 1/16" above the layout table. Works like a champ, wouldn't change a thing about it, and perhaps an hour to install.

It provides a nice large "holding area" for multiple cuts, something I think the roller system lack. The wood glides over the melamine, you can tap it and it moves out of the way. The 1/4" rise is an "added feature" not present in the original plans.

huckster

New User
Pete
Hmm. That last option sounds pretty cool. Is that something you picked up somewhere or did you buy it?

~Pete

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Homemade. Nothing to it. I Gorilla'd spacers under the melamine that fit on top of the rail on the back of the 66, rabbeted the melamine against the 66 top, put supports extending from underneath the layout table top, and the whole thing just stays there, compliments of gravity.

A 3/4" rabbeting bit was used to cut the miter slot extensions. I made one cut, moved the layout fence 1/4" and made a parallel cut. That gives me 1/8" wider than the table slot, so little movements don't affect the push through.

I just hung the panel cutting sled from a nail in a piece of oak screwed under the left side of the outfeed table, and it all fits nicely. (I didn't trust a nail in the particle board in the melamine.)

FWIW, the spacers under OF table, the supports under the layout table, and the little piece of oak with the nail in it all came from my extensive collection of cutoffs.

J

jeff...

Homemade. Nothing to it. I Gorilla'd spacers under the melamine that fit on top of the rail on the back of the 66, rabbeted the melamine against the 66 top, put supports extending from underneath the layout table top, and the whole thing just stays there, compliments of gravity.

A 3/4" rabbeting bit was used to cut the miter slot extensions. I made one cut, moved the layout fence 1/4" and made a parallel cut. That gives me 1/8" wider than the table slot, so little movements don't affect the push through.

I just hung the panel cutting sled from a nail in a piece of oak screwed under the left side of the outfeed table, and it all fits nicely. (I didn't trust a nail in the particle board in the melamine.)

FWIW, the spacers under OF table, the supports under the layout table, and the little piece of oak with the nail in it all came from my extensive collection of cutoffs.

Any pics? sounds like the cats meow there

huckster

New User
Pete
Ya, that does sound pretty cool. I'm not sure if I've got the option for the attached layout table though ;-)

I was wondering if it'd be worth converting one of those HTC OF tables. I wonder if its even possible to pull the rollers off and get a piece of melamine on there w/a routed slot for the miter tool. OR just build from scractch. I like the fold down option. Hmmm.

~Pete

PS
I do happen to remember that wood may roll off the end though. I think after the first time, i didn't let that happen again.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Although more simple than Jim's, I added a drop down outfeed table to my Griz tablesaw.

blesaw_outfeed_table_1.jpg

I also used melamine for it's smooth surface. At the time I didn't have a decent router or dado blade, so I kept sneaking up on the slots with flat top grind rip blade. A couple 1" dowels with adjustable feet serve as the "legs". It's not complicated nor pretty, but it does the job :mrgreen:

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Although more simple than Jim's, I added a drop down outfeed table to my Griz tablesaw.

blesaw_outfeed_table_1.jpg

I also used melamine for it's smooth surface. At the time I didn't have a decent router or dado blade, so I kept sneaking up on the slots with flat top grind rip blade. A couple 1" dowels with adjustable feet serve as the "legs". It's not complicated nor pretty, but it does the job :mrgreen:

Roger

Roger, I must disagree. It IS pretty. Very nice looking accessory to your custom saw!! :icon_thum

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Roger, I must disagree. It IS pretty. Very nice looking accessory to your custom saw!! :icon_thum

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. It looks even better now . . . that pix was taken before I replace the Griz fence with the Unifence :eusa_danc

Roger

chris99z71

New User
Chris
A few months ago, I bought a door from Habitat. Now it's my outfeed table, covered with a piece of 3/4 MDF with miter slots.

In these pics, I was trying to show how the outfeed is attached to the saw.

I installed two 3/8" T-nuts into the bottom of the outfeed table, threaded in some 3/8" bolts, cut off the heads, ground them to a semi-point and dropped them through some holes in the rear rail. So far, so good.

Now that I've got a mobile base, I'll work on a more permenant, less redneck suppport system for the outfeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS